Wednesday 1 September 2010

Six ~ Wednesday

Time will never erase the memories of her brief life. Days turn to weeks, weeks to [six] years. I remember as if it were yesterday, the details become a little blurrier but She is not forgotten.

So what happened on Tuesday... the day after I was sent home by the OB , all hope gone , to be induced the next morning on Tuesday 31st August.
I told you it was worst night ever ...
my pregnant belly was no longer a safe harbour for my baby but a coffin.
I had to find a name and that I did.
Charlotte Rose.
I went into Hospital at 8am to be induced only to be 'growled' at by the ward clerk about why I was there ...she wasn't expecting us .
"We're here to have our {dead} baby"...
"Oh the [stupid] Ob didn't tell us to go to delivery suite"{across the hall}.


What could I say 6 years on about that
day I went to the hospital to have my dead baby torn from my womb by my pitiful body ?

The day I felt so despicable a mother.


The day loss opened up a chasm in me that I thought I would never climb out of ...


The day other mothers and fathers whom nature smiled
upon welcomed their own babies in the next room as it should be ...

The day I couldn't set foot outside the delivery suite room but my DH had too.
He had to talk to people and smile ...

The day spent talking about preparing funerals and grief as we trembled and tried to find strength in each other.

The day the OB told they would give me 'everything' so I wouldn't feel pain but he LIED ! Nothing can take away the excruciating pain of losing a child.

The day I scarcely
knew what to think or feel or to expect.

Labouring to bring forth your dead baby into the world has got to be one of the sh*
ttiest jobs on earth.

So here we are today ... six trips around the sun to bring us back to a Wednesday.

After 5 lots of vag.inal gel our daughter was born 19hrs later
Wednesday 1st September 2004 @4.20am.
It was the most heart wrenching experience of my life.

It's not quite a happy birthday but still it's remembering her BIRTH'day.

Still I remember how robbed I felt after waiting 12 years for this precious baby.
My firstborn.
As I said the tears they roll less often ...much less.
It doesn't mean I don't remember.
I wake every year on this day in the early hours.

Remembering.

I do [remember] most days but nothing profound and as melancholy as it sounds.

Today, I woke sardined in, not so cosily, comforted by the presence of my little boys, who alternately cuddle , whack me with stray limbs or press into me .

I gave thanks.


Charlotte is & was a precious gift ...
some people only dream of Angels we cradled one and carry one in our hearts always.
May we never let the things we can't have, or don't have, or shouldn't have, spoil our enjoyment of the things we do have and can have.
The boys are my happy place and their laughter is music to a mother's broken heart.
A new day has dawned, shadows are lengthening into light, the sky is starting to beam pink, a gleaming smile.
The friendly warmth of Spring is here (I hope) and new expectations of a purposeful day in our garden.

I want to clarify ... I don't write to gain sympathy but to share my feelings and perhaps comfort another walking a similar path. There are thousands (&thousands) of dead baby mothers like me. Honestly I say , there is no honour in garnering false sympathy.
Never miss a post

17 comments :

Super Sarah said...

You write beautifully about something so desperately sad. I will take a moment today to think about you and other families who have lost precious babies and will hug my own babies close.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your sweet Charlotte today.

much love

SquiggleMum said...

Trish your strength is remarkable. Thank you for sharing your story, not to gain sympathy, but to strengthen others. May you find comfort in the blessing of your boys. xx

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Thinking of you and thanking you for your strength x

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you today.
Your story will remind so many parents(especially mothers)that they should be truly grateful that they have not had to experience something so traumatic in life!
Stay strong and keep remembering your precious girl too beautiful for this world! xx

tiff(threeringcircus) said...

Loving you and your sweet Charlotte today.
I will be so grateful that she introduced us.
She changed my world in different ways.

ruddygood said...

As a another whose firstborn never lived to draw breath, you know how much it means to me to read your lovely, oh-so-eloquent words, my sweet. In 2 weeks exactly, and nine years later, it will be Jack Lightning's birth day, too. Love to you, to our babies, gone so soon, and love to the squirming little bundles of boy who now light up our lives. xxx

PlanningQueen said...

I think sharing your story would be so helpful to others and the written word is so powerful. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Terra Heck said...

I've said a prayer for you so your grief may be lessened if just a little. I know a couple of friends who have went through the same thing and I cannot begin to imagine the heartache. God bless you and yours.

Car said...

I couldn't swing by and not comment on such a hauntingly beautiful post - you write so beautifully. I'll spare a thought for you all today xxx

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you.

Jenn said...

Thinking of you and Charlotte today, wishing so much that so many things could be different. ((hugs)) to you Trish.

Jayne said...

(((hugs))) Trish and blessing to your Charlotte xxx

Maxabella said...

I heard your story, little Charlotte. You touched my life sweet child.

x

~~Kallie~~ said...

Hugs, too many words and none express what I want to say. I'm sure you feel the same when you read of someone who has been where you have.

So *hugs*... that is all.

Unknown said...

Huge hugs :(

Kelley @ magneto bold too said...

I love you.

That is all.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.