Saturday 16 February 2008

Smiley Saturday

Another busy week , the boys have grown and time has flown .I know some friends have had a tough time, I hope you are recovering and that things have settled guys.

Some others have had a great week with Valentine's day and receiving loads of artery clogging fat laden chocolates and flowers. I bought my chocolates on sale yesterday(at Toys r Us) aptly named Garden of Sin 'Eden' .The trouble is I keep remembering this.

So what made you smile ? ... head over to Lightening online and pickup her new image and join us.

My regular readers will know it was our wedding anniversary too and we kept it simple. I don't need gifts to know I am loved. The things my husband does everyday show me. He cooked a lovely dinner complete with a 'show' of how he made it all himself LOL - he knows me so well.

But ! he doesn't realise I am smarter and there is no way he could have made the garlic kiev butter filling ... the flour container and scatter of breadcrumbs in the plate on the bench to indicate he crumbed it himself (though he makes delicious chicken schnitzel)...bravo for trying I certainly smiled about that! Sweet isn't he.

Now onto something more serious

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters.... S.T.R.




This was forwarded to me today. The friend who sent this and encouraged me to email post it and spread the word. I thought it important as this week my husband's Aunt had a stroke. She was taken to the hospital very quickly they minimized any damage.

If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously..

Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .....she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die.... they end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.
It only takes a minute to read this...
A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke... totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE
Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke .

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
S * Ask the individual to SMILE. (now you know why this post is appropriate for today)
T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)
(i.e. It is sunny out today)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.
If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call 000 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other , that is also an indication of a stroke.

A neurologist says if everyone who reads this and emails it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

Another reason I had to smile this week was visiting some special friends , chatting over a good cuppa and some Lindt chocolate balls.The boys and I had a ton of fun.

I have been on Top Momma for a month - not sure what it means for my traffic stats but their website must get plenty. So to keep us smiling ... please click.Then click S & J's picture on Top Momma.

PS- - the blogger spell check isn't working ... I thought it was something I did to my template till I read another blogger has the same problem :( . Anyone else ?
Please excuse any errors.

PPS -
I am so not smiling about this - the little b*ggers bloggers now know how to turn off the switches on the powerblock under my compter (work) desk ... so I am doomed ! I thought the power was out ...nope they switched off everything.

... off to eat a chocolate or 2 ...3...4 or more while I fold the clothes and sh*te load of nappies since it won't fold itself and it will make my DH smile it I do it !

7 comments :

Anonymous said...

Thanks for joining in this week babyamore. :)

Thanks also for the warnings about stroke. I know nothing about that kind of thing. Very scary.

Congratulations. You are doing so well at top momma. :)

Cathy said...

congratulations on your anniversary :) mine is on Tuesday 19th feb

thank you for sharing the info about strokes - i didn't know many of those points.

my kids also tend to switch of the computer midway through me typing something....aaaarrrggghhh!

Louise said...

great post about strokes! and yes my bloggger spellcheck is not working either.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for posting about stroke awareness. I weuld also like to comment about childhood stroke awareness. (Childhood stroke awareness day is May 5th!) It is a lot more common than you would think and it can and DOES happen to infants and children. My daughter suffered bilateral coritcal strokes sometime around the time of her birth and now suffers life long disabilities. So I thought I would put up some resources for those who are interested;

http://www.pediatricstrokenetwork.com/

http://www.stroke.org/site/PageNavigator/PEDSTROKE

Laura said...

I'm glad your anniversary was so much fun! We went bowling for ours, something we hadn't done together in three years. :P

Say, I wonder why the Live Traffic Feed on your sidebar says "Moscow, Vermont" for me. Weird! I don't even know where that is.

Will your husband's aunt be fine? Strokes sure are life changing, to say the least.

Laura said...

and congrats on staying on TopMomma for so long! not only are you on, you're on the top of the list!

Crazed Nitwit said...

Hey girl! How you be holding up with the teen and the two wiggle monsters?


Hugs.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.