Thursday 5 July 2012

When push comes to shove

I saw my Breast Cancer Surgeon on Tuesday , as I already knew , he has referred me for Chemotherapy. I have my appointment to see the medical Oncologist next week at the Cancer Care Centre.

He also confirmed the mastectomy was the best decision because along with the small area of invasive cancer and Ductal Carcinoma in situ (DCIS) - I had pre-cancerous changes right up to my nipple.
The right boob was my choice and it was clear.
I am thankful for right decisions and that I don't need radiation therapy.

My drain remains in situ, till the drainage decreases to under 30mls per day (90-100ml atm). It is uncomfortable and painful at times but much better than the alternative - a large needle being inserted to syringe off (out) the site if it starts to swell. I have good pain relief and it doesn't stop me doing most of things I want to do, except running which is the only thing I want to get back into. Pity about the all the housework I'm just busting to do, too ;-).

What I wasn't expecting : is that I am in 15-20% of women HER2 Positive - which means I need an additional , different type of targeted therapy ; Herceptin - after my 4-6 cycles of chemotherapy is completed ...every three weeks for a year . Hopefully, the infusions can be scheduled with minimal interruptions to normal life.Whatever it takes !

It is extra insurance which allegedly keeps the cancer cells from growing, especially targeted towards them and not my normal cells. I'll consult Dr Google find out more about it next week I am sure.

"Knowledge is the antidote for fear." Ralph Waldo Emerson



I am in it for the long haul and I am ready to take the Stand (lyrics) . I have an appointment to have a Port-a-cath inserted next Wednesday. My Surgeon said it was a good idea and referred me to an experienced Interventional Radiologist.

It means I can use my right hand - therefore iPad - whilst I'm having chemo ... for this I am very thankful . As they can only , always, use my right arm due the surgery to remove my left axillary lymph nodes. It also means less problems for accessing veins for chemo infusions and blood tests.

This week, I had the chance to meet up with the gorgeous  Deb from Bright and Precious , she is delightful. I am so thankful, Deb is so inspirational and because her vision board idea has given me light and inspiration.



Oh, did I tell you how thankful I am to home for a few days xox. Everything is a glorious mess still because we left in a hurry but home sweet home.


What are you thankful for this week ?