Monday 1 February 2010

What's on the menu ?

Talking about eating today ...what better subject !

I have been making yogurt using the Easiyo Sachets with the Easiyo Yoghurt Maker. I was fortunate to be given mine pre owned by my MIL, it made too much for her own use.(Easiyo needs to bring out a single person's version, though you can now buy smaller tubs and make two pots. (I am not telling her though =) )

I want to buy the smaller jars next. Anyway my Easiyo got buried in a cupboard. I was visiting my mum recently and saw her Easiyo maker sitting on the bench. I had a try of her yoghurt (from the fridge). It was quite good.

Was I Surprised
YES !

In my bid to eat healthier/fresher & cheaper I decided to finally try Easiyo Yogurt Maker. They are only about $20 (with 2 packets I believe) to buy from supermarkets so it works out to be a very low cost set up for Yoghurt making. You don’t have to boil milk or measure temperatures or anything.

It is so easy ... You simply add your choice of Easiyo mix to the cold water ( to the 1L jar) and shake, twice. Then you just add boiling water to the Easiyo flask . Pop in the IL jar and attach the lid. Leave it on the bench for about 8hrs or overnight till it's set .

That’s all there is to it! You get perfect yogurt every time [well I've made three batches but so Mum said , she's been using it for a while. Mum's are always right, right =) ].

I think the Easiyo is probably something I would have dismissed as I walked past in the supermarket aisle. I thought there was no way yoghurt powder could taste like real yoghurt ...much like powdered milk. You have to be desperate to drink it.

How does it work ?
I don’t know =) I am not exactly sure of the science behind Easiyo but my understanding is the yoghurt powder has freeze dried healthy bacteria that reactivates once added with water.


Is Easiyo worth it?
YES! It was too easy.

Does it taste good?
YES!

Do the kids like it
YES !

Does it come in flavours ?
YES several Natural, Low Fat,Greek , Apricot, Strawberry. Organic but I have yet to try them (only tried the low fat & vanilla custard style). I plan to start working my way through all the flavours!.

You can buy even a Easiyo pureed fruit to mix through or squeeze over (my mum had this and I liked it -not sure of the sugar content ) though you can still flavour them (after setting) with anything you like, especially now in summer with all of the yummy fruits available I used frozen berries in mine today. I even used up a spare jar of mango baby puree.

How long does it take to make?
The preparation time is less time than it takes to make a cup of tea....then it's just a little patience.

Cost ? on going about $3 plain - $3.78 for 1kg (flavoured) or cheaper if you buy plain or a 3 pack

Would I recommend it ... Yes, if you are interested in no fuss & easy homemade yogurt this is definitely the way to go. I have seen a few recipes using powdered milk or boiling milk but I am happy with the convenience and the no fail sachets. I eat it for the taste, it's fresher and less the price of store yoghurt. The health benefits are a bonus.

(Ps I didn't get paid to write this ..have to find the camera cord to upload & post pics)

Now where was I ...

My Menu Plan Monday (though subject to change and a whim - Exclusively food is such a delicious site.)

Monday - Meatballs & Tomato sauce or this one
Tuesday - Little Athletics till 6pm so maybe it's Takeaway for them & Tuna Salad for me
Wednesday - BBQ Grilled Marinated Chicken & vegies
Thursday - Mini Quiches & Salad
Friday - Steak Diane & Potato Gratin
Saturday - Monkey see will have ideas for me no doubt.
Sunday - Roast Lamb (with garlic,gravy & mint sauce)and vegies ...if I can wait all week
See more menu planning inspiration at Organizing Junkie

I still feel guilty :( thinking about food and even cooking or eating it...my clothes have all shrunk with all the heat =).


Anniversary Tickers



Never miss a post

7 comments :

Mum-me said...

I've been wondering about that easiyo. Might give it a try after reading this. The girls and I just love yogurt.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

@mum me - I can't wait to try more flavours ...it really is yummy.

Anonymous said...

we have been making Easiyo yogurt for years.my girls LOVE it!!!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

@peskypixie ~ tut tut you never told me ...what's your favourite flavour and what's your tips ?

nellbe said...

Ah so you liked the custard one? Silly question time - can you get that in a sachet like the others? I had a look at the shops and couldn't find anything....

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

@Nellbe Big W is apparently the only place that sells Easiyo vanilla custard style.
Yes I do like it but I'll reserve my favourite once I tried them all.

PlanningQueen said...

I just saw that is 5 days until your 20th anniversary - that is such an amazing achievement. We celebrated 13 years this week. Happy anniversary in advance! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.