Monday 15 October 2018

'Tully' - my mother told me don't run with scissors in your hand


Hello, it's been a while.

I've had busy six-seven months.
Squeezing in a six-week overseas holiday that I didn't even blog about.
Almost, four weeks in USA and then 2 weeks in Italy.
Working and parenthood, it's not easy.
Attending new courses for volunteering and advocacy with the Cancer Council and Encore training.

Florence, Italy was for 2018 IBCPC PARTICIPATORY DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL - a sporting event and above all a social occasion which welcomed 4,000 to 5,000 people from all over the world. Mostly women, breast cancer survivors participants in Dragon Boat races, paddling together on the Arno. Many accompanied by their friends and family, their faithful and enthusiastic supporters.
Another bunch of stories for another day.

Due to my flight arrangements, I was traveling onto Italy and they home, I was not booked a seat near my hubby and sons.

At all, unless I changed seats. I did once or twice.
A win against the whining ...
I didn't have anyone to talk to (or fights to referee)

So I had about 10 flights, many long hauls. The opportunity to watch many movies, uninterrupted.
New release movies, so many hours to pass and I have never watched so many in my life.
I missed a few film endings. Some I caught again.


'Tully' was one of the ones I was enjoying when the pilot shut down the in-flight entertainment for announcements and getting ready to land.

Now, I was totally hooked on Tully and had yet to reach, what I know now is the "big twist".

Tully, is a film about motherhood or parenthood. Part comedy, charming with the focus on fine-tuning motherhood or not ...



I knew nothing of what was to come.

When I was asked if I wanted to review Tully - of course, I said, 'I missed the ending .'

I didn't get to follow it up because I've also been away 4-5 weekends since I returned in mid-July.

Writing a few thoughts about a film like Tully, the crux being a significant plot twist which calls into question the events leading up to it and the entire movie was a challenge.

How do I describe Tully, only summarizing 'her' plot and not reveal anything?
Of its climax!

 'Marlo (Charlize Theron), a mother of two - heavily pregnant with #3 is gifted a night nanny by her brother (Mark Duplass). Hesitant to accept the extravagance, she comes to form a unique bond with the thoughtful, surprising, and sometimes challenging young nanny, Tully (Mackenzie Davis).'
We all know the palpable truths about new motherhood that are unassailable. The bone-deep exhaustion, the breastfeeding, the pumping anxiety, the mess, the never-ending struggle to find a 'balance' and still sparkle. ie. make the class cupcakes.

In comes Tully, a free-spirited 20 something to rescue Marlo and baby Mia, a friend in a time of need. Drew, the clueless husband exists in the background, playing video games with his headphones, and simply heedless.

I could really identify with all the deep themes of postpartum motherhood and the twist well ...you'll find out for yourself. It's unique and quirky. It's funny, fantasy and it's the truth.

I can say at the end of the movie, Drew has his own awakening - actual 'co-parenting' with Mia's care and sharing Marlo’s earbuds while helping her cook dinner.

What did your mother tell you?
Does your partner co-parent?