Friday 28 August 2015

The Daffodil Principle - revisited


Daffodil Day is today - it is the largest fundraising event of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere and a day all Australians unite and lend their support to the fight against cancer.

Please show your support for Daffodil Day -
Your donation helps fund cancer research, prevention programs and support programs.
Help make a difference for those who have been affected by Cancer and let us dig deep for a cure.

I've personally been affected now 3 times in 3 years with 3 different cancers - breast cancer, sarcoma and most recently Melanoma -insitu on my face. I need more minor day surgery soon to have this fully treated.

This week I also had a hysterectomy  to reduce my risk of uterine cancer.  I'm very sore though recovering well. Sneeze , cough or laugh and I cringe !

Nothing is going to stop me doing by bit by volunteering today to sell merchandise and daffodils and promote the work of the Cancer Council.


The Daffodil Garden



1. Beginnings. . ., 2. Daffodils., 3. daffodils in window, 4. Shine on you crazy diamond, 5. a moment of joy, 6. 03Apr18 Daffs, 7. Daffodils in Skagit Valley, 8. Daffodils, 9. Early Narcissus

Several times my daughter had telephoned to say, "Mother, you must come to see the daffodils before they are over." I wanted to go, but it was a two-hour drive from Laguna to Lake Arrowhead "I will come next Tuesday", I promised a little reluctantly on her third call.

Next Tuesday dawned cold and rainy. Still, I had promised, and reluctantly I drove there. When I finally walked into Carolyn's house I was welcomed by the joyful sounds of happy children. I delightedly hugged and greeted my grandchildren.

"Forget the daffodils, Carolyn! The road is invisible in these clouds and fog, and there is nothing in the world except you and these children that I want to see badly enough to drive another inch!"

My daughter smiled calmly and said, "We drive in this all the time, Mother." "Well, you won't get me back on the road until it clears, and then I'm heading for home!" I assured her.

"But first we're going to see the daffodils. It's just a few blocks," Carolyn said. "I'll drive. I'm used to this."

"Carolyn," I said sternly, "please turn around." "It's all right, Mother, I promise. You will never forgive yourself if you miss this experience."

After about twenty minutes, we turned onto a small gravel road and I saw a small church. On the far side of the church, I saw a hand lettered sign with an arrow that read, "Daffodil Garden." We got out of the car, each took a child's hand, and I followed Carolyn down the path. Then, as we turned a corner, I looked up and gasped. Before me lay the most glorious sight.

It looked as though someone had taken a great vat of gold and poured it over the mountain peak and its surrounding slopes. There were five acres of flowers.

"Who did this?" I asked Carolyn. "Just one woman," Carolyn answered. "She lives on the property. That's her home." Carolyn pointed to a well-kept A-frame house, small and modestly sitting in the midst of all that glory. We walked up to the house.

On the patio, we saw a poster. "Answers to the Questions I Know You Are Asking", was the headline. The first answer was a simple one. "50,000 bulbs," it read. The second answer was, "One at a time, by one woman. Two hands, two feet, and one brain." The third answer was, "Began in 1958."

There it was, The Daffodil Principle.

For me, that moment was a life-changing experience. I thought of this woman whom I had never met, who, more than forty years before, had begun, one bulb at a time, to bring her vision of beauty and joy to an obscure mountaintop. Planting one bulb at a time, year after year, this unknown woman had forever changed the world in which she lived. One day at a time, she had created something of extraordinary magnificence, beauty, and inspiration. The principle her daffodil garden taught is one of the greatest principles of celebration.

(Now there are 100,000 bulbs so the Fact sheet reads )

It's so pointless to think of the lost hours of yesterdays. The way to make learning a lesson of celebration instead of a cause for regret is to only ask, "How can I put this to use today?"

That is, learning to move toward our goals and desires one step at a time often just one baby step at a time-and learning to love the doing, learning to use the accumulation of time.

When we multiply tiny pieces of time with small increments of daily effort, we too will find we can accomplish magnificent things. We can change the world.

"It makes me sad in a way," I admitted to Carolyn.

"What might I have accomplished if I had thought of a wonderful goal thirty-five or forty years ago and had worked away at it 'one bulb at a time'through all those years.

Just think what I might have been able to achieve!"

My daughter summed up the message of the day in her usual direct way. "Start tomorrow," she said.

by Jaroldeen Asplund Edwards --- author


NOTE: There is a real garden by Mrs. Gene Bauer
Anyone can visit during peak bloom time, early March to early April. The garden is located below Running Springs,California, in the San Bernardino Mountains.

The Legend of the daffodil




Author unknown ...we convince ourselves that life will be better after we get married, have a baby, then another. Then we are frustrated that the kids aren't old enough and we'll be more content when they are. After that, we're frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with.

We will certainly be happy when they are out of that stage.We tell ourselves that our life will be complete when our spouse gets his or her act together, when we get a nicer car, when we are able to go on a nice vacation, or when we retire.
The truth is there's no better time to be happy than right now. If not now, when? Your life will always be filled with challenges. It's best to admit this to yourself and decide to be happy anyway.
Happiness is the way. So, treasure every moment that you have and treasure it more because you shared it with someone special; special to spend your time with and remember that time waits for no one. So, stop waiting
until your car or home is paid off.
Until you get a new car or home.
Until your kids leave the house.
Until you go back to school.
Until you finish school.
Until you lose 5kg.

Until you get married.
Until you get a divorce. Until you have kids. Until you retire. Until
summer. Until spring. Until winter. 
Until you die...(too late Huh !)

There is no better time than right now to be happy.
Happiness is a journey, not a destination. So work like you
don't need money, Love like you've never been hurt. And
dance like no one's watching.




I received the daffodil principle and the above by an email several years ago. Today was a good day to re-post.

How can you put this to use today?
What are you waiting for ?

Have you entered to WIN = DAD a fabulous Bosch $149 Cordless Drill



Never miss a post

13 comments :

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story - thanks for posting that. Needed some 'daffodil' inspiration. Love the photos too - so glad its spring for us too!

Unknown said...

Hi, Trish,
Thanks so much for sharing this breath of fresh air and flowers on this October morning.
I loved this piece and the concept that one step at a time, one deed, one word, we can change not only our lives, but others.
One blogger question (well, maybe 2): How did you enter the comment welcome message and How in the heck do you get Blogger to send follow-up comments to people's email?
Non-techie Jlo here

Anonymous said...

Trish this is a beautiful post. Thanks so much. I think there is a great inspiration in it for me today.

jeanie said...

Thanks for that, Trish. Sometimes you just need the sunshine moment to get the smile started.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

@ Lilly - yes I love Spring and I needed this daffodil inspiration too.

@Jlo: yes "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. ~ Lao Tzu" thanks for visiting JLo. I emailed you.

@Joh - It is very timely for me too.

@Jeanie : *smiles* indeed. It isn't just about the weather is it.

MissyBoo said...

What a lovely post!

M said...

Gosh, I'm planning to start a tulip garden next year. Perhaps I'll make it a daffodil garden. one.bulb.at.a.time. Fabulous.

Thanks for visiting EasternMax. I too am sorry to have missed you. I had to run off to holiday ballet classes - next time I'll allow more time.

Unknown said...

Oh, that is a beautiful post, Trish! I love daffodils too! On our farm, we have several different types of daffodils growing. We also have a special day (can't remember the exact date) in Canada where people sell daffodils to raise money for the Canadian Cancer Society.

Green Girl said...

Hi Trish,

Thank you very much for sharing this with me. I haven't opened that one blog you visited until today and was surprised to found your comments. This was lovely!

Katie M said...

This is beautiful :)
(Visiting from the Weekend Rewind)

Aakriti said...

lovely post:) it was a pleasure reading it...Woo...I was just imagining how splendid that sight might be to see sooooo many Daffodils in one garden, rather a field to say:) I guess the best thing in life is when strangers give us a message worth a "million cents" to make our life seems worthy of a lot more:)
Visiting from the Fibro:)
http://aakritimalik.blogspot.com/2010/10/poem-for-every-occasion.html

allison tait said...

What a beautiful idea and a beautiful post - so much to think about here.

Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro.

Mrs Catch said...

Love this. Very inspirational.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.