Thursday 8 May 2014

May 8 : World Ovarian Cancer day and what inspires me

I was recently asked

"How many days has it been since you last sought a big red post box and popped inside it a handwritten note destined for someone you care for?" 


Ah *crickets* ... I do know I've been on the receiving end , many times recently.

Today's Everyday in May prompt is I'm inspired by  ... YOU my community !

A community of friends , family and Blog and Facebook followers who have given their support, love, prayers and kind thoughts (if not the praying kind) the last two years and beyond. I know I'm hard work.

I'm still standing because of YOU holding my hand, walking alongside me and if I could thank you each personally I would.

I am also mindful that in this age of insta-everything these days picking up the humble pen to write a handwritten note or card is still the most appreciated form of snail mail ...(in an envelop - unless it's a cheque )

It bridges the distance between us...a note not a cheque.

I have a very special friend who sents me a card every few days. Another elderly lady from church has twice sent me prayers and poems, in large spidery writing (I am so touched and I'm embarrassed to say I don't her).

While not all my friendships are perfect and close or even 'local', I have some of the best friends and aquaintances a girl could wish for. I am so thankful.

They are family and friends who pick us up when we have hit rock bottom, those who cry with us, laugh with us, sit in silence with us and most of all love us for who we are and support us no matter how  hard life proves to be.

Today is the second ever World Ovarian Cancer Day on May 8th.  

My cousin Jo, aged 40 - passed away 11 yrs ago in June from Ovarian Cancer. Her's was re-occurrence - day she was fine , the next she was given 6 weeks to live.

On behalf of Ovarian Cancer Australia (OCA), the first ever Make Time in May campaign in partnership with Phoenix Traders , have produced a pack of 11 beautiful cards.

 $5 from every $30 sale will be donated to Ovarian Cancer Australia to help support its advocacy, research and support programs. Packs can be purchased from Phoenix Traders.

To mark the occasion, people all over the world are being asked to pledge to show their support by signing up to receive an e-card which they will share with 5 others on May 8.

You can sign up here: ovariancancerday.org


TOP 10 OVARIAN CANCER FACTS
  1. Did you know that ovarian cancer has the lowest survival rate of any women’s cancer and has a five year survival rate well below the average for all cancers? 
  2. Each year 1400 Australian women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and more than 1000 will die from the disease – that’s one woman every 8 hours! 
  3. Each day in Australia, four women are diagnosed with ovarian cancer and three will die from the disease. 
  4. Ovarian cancer most commonly affects women aged over 50 who have been through menopause; however the disease can affect women of all ages. 
  5. There is no early detection test for ovarian cancer so the best way of detecting the disease is to know and recognise the symptoms which most commonly include: abdominal or pelvic pain, increased abdominal size or persistent abdominal bloating, the need to urinate often or urgently, or feeling full after eating a small amount. 
  6. If diagnosed early, the majority of women can survive. Unfortunately without an early detection test for ovarian cancer, the majority of women are diagnosed with advanced stages of the disease. 
  7. In Australia, the overall five year survival rate for women diagnosed with ovarian cancer is 43%. In comparison, the overall five year survival rate for women diagnosed with breast cancer is 89%. 
  8. Genetics and family history are responsible for at least 15% of ovarian cancers. If a woman has two or more relatives from the same side of the family affected by ovarian or ovarian and breast cancer her risk of developing the disease may be increased. This tends to be a result of an inherited faulty gene (BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation) that increases a woman’s risk of developing both cancers. 
  9. Other risk factors women ought to be aware of include: 
  •  being over 50 years of age; 
  •  never having children, being unable to have children, or having children after 30; 
  •  never having used oral contraceptives; 
  •  having endometriosis; 
  •  lifestyle factors: such as smoking tobacco, being overweight or eating a high fat diet; 
  •  and hormonal factors: including early puberty (menstruating before 12) or late menopause (onset after 50). 
10. Ovarian Cancer Australia is a not-for-profit organisation founded in 2001 by people who had been affected by ovarian cancer, either themselves or through someone they loved. It provides support for women and their families, raises community awareness of ovarian cancer, advocates for improved services for women and promotes world class ovarian cancer research to help save lives and ensure no woman with ovarian cancer walks alone.

For further information visit :

:http://www.ovariancancer.net.au/




Thank you to those who also drop me an insta -message or leave a comment you also brighten my day !!

  Blog Everyday in May

Also linking with Rhianna's :
Thankful Thursday with APL


So - How many days has it been since you last sought a big red post box and popped inside it a handwritten note destined for someone you care for?"


PS - if you would like a card from me - let me know !
 .