Monday 11 March 2013

Starting change with a single step

Walk In Her Shoes 2013 Starts in 6 days.

I walk 3m to turn the tap on and fresh clean water flows into my glass and I am so thankful for it. I am thankful also for the rain that filled our water tank recently.

When we had no water we had to drive 5km to the next farm (family) and pump out 1000L from their tank , till we could organise a water tanker to deliver 30,000L - easy done.


Millions of women and girls are walking right now to collect food and water for their families.I walk for exercise and to rid the excess calories I consume .


Millions of women and girls in developing countries are burdened by hours of walking each day to collect what their families need to survive: food, water and firewood. This burden prevents girls from going to school and women from earning an income - keeping them trapped in a devastating cycle of poverty.
I'm walking in the shoes of poor women and girls by taking part in CARE Australia’s Walk In Her Shoes Challenge.
From 18 to 24 March, I  will walk 10,000 steps a day to raise funds for CARE Australia, an organisation that helps communities in developing countries overcome poverty. www.walkinhershoes.org.au
Funds raised will go toward vital CARE projects that help reduce the distance women and girls have to walk and help them spend more time in school, earning an income and helping their community overcome poverty.
CARE Australia is an international humanitarian aid organisation with a special focus on working with women and girls to bring lasting change to their communities Last year CARE helped 122 million people across 84 countries. Find out more are www.care.org. au.
  My fundraising link is here https://walkinhershoes2013.everydayhero.com/au/Trish_T

I don't want to guilt anyone because I know everyone is cash strapped but it is so disappointing not to get sponsors for as little as $5. Even a small contribution will go a long way for these women and girls.