I’M DELIGHTED TO BE MEETING
at the day session, at least, and to meet others for dinner Friday night.
There has been envious watching of all the tweeting and chatting abuzz in the Aus Mum Blogger circles.
This weekend some 170+ mummy and other personal bloggers will hit Sydney for the first Australian Blogging Conference (ABC or Aus Blog Con).
I still don't feel like a real blogger even after nearly 4 yrs of personal mummy blogging (and 6 years of an online presence in other parenting forums).
I was shy about going.My husband's health was also my main concern six months ago when the ABC tickets were first announced. I held off buying a ticket because ... I just couldn't commit to anything not just that finances were and are still tight.
When DH's scan on Feb 1st was clear the ABC tickets were sold out. I held my breath, hoping , quietly.
Monday, I saw a tweet from the gorgeous Holly @ Good Golly Miss Holly . Don't fret - you still get to meet her too - Holly is going to the hot frocks dinner and I got to buy her day ticket. It suited me.
I'm most excited to re-new acquaintances , hug and hang out with the chicks who make me laugh and cry daily with their real life stories on their blog or one liners on twitter.
Here is ten IMPORTANT things you should know about me
- I'm hearing impaired - The thing behind my right ear is my BAHA hearing aid - bone anchored hearing aid and if you can see the screw in my head - it means I've lost it. I may start screaming too.
- Seriously if you say 'hello' from behind or from my left I may not hear - please don't think I'm ignoring you. Feel free to tap me on the shoulder or jab me in the back.
- If I answer a question inappropriately - don't assume Kelley has given me too many Margaritas - I probably didn't hear you.
- I ask people to repeat things, a lot sometimes, in noisy environments - forgive me I am not really stupid I do get things - I just miss bits (see #3 too) and keep asking until I fully understand.
- Don't worry I can't lip read much ...but I do concentrate hard on people speaking sometimes so if you think I am staring strangely - I am not.
- I don't mind if you talk 'louder' to me but please remind me if I am talking too loud too ...
- I'm also vision impaired in my right eye - I wear contact lens only in my left eye. You wouldn't know it until I look at you - my right eye has minimal peripheral vision, my eye has a slight turn and a bit different. I am very self conscious about it but what can I do but grin and carry on.
- I hate the way I look especially in photos ...my right side is the worst. Just saying - I will hide in the corner if your camera comes out.
- I get very nervous when I meet new people. I may babble to hide my nervousness. I get the feeling many of us are nervous so I know I'm not alone.I don't have any business cards to offer you :( but I do have heart shaped post it's.
- Friday & Saturday I hope I leave behind some of my concerns and just enjoy connecting in real life with new and old friends. I'll soak in as much information as I can as the conference and come home re-newed.