Thursday 17 February 2011

This week I tried something new ...

a day in the life of us


For a few weeks I have been wanting to join in Kymmie's @A day in the life of us "This week I tried something new"

This week I can actually report two  three* new things - the most important being -

#1 I started the 31 days to build a better blog. It's a new way of looking why and how I blog and how to improve it.

#2 The last two weeks the Brothers and I have had 4 trips to the Dentist - it is about 25 kms away. I normally go the same way , have done for years. Yesterday , it took me over 45 mins - average speed under well 60km per hour (my guess- don't bother with the maths it's not the point).

Yesterday was trip 3 - I got every red traffic light, the train at railway crossing and every slow or ignorant driver possible (those who drive slow in the right lane especially). Lucky I did not have any children with me  as I raced to the Dentist - who if you are even 3 mins later will postpone the procedure.I just made it.

Today I decide to use the recently re - discovered  GPS (lost in the depths of the pocket behind the passenger seat -oops my fault). I put in the address and it suggested a different way , totally bypassing the old way except for first 2-3 and 500m. I wasn't sure because the GPS has a nasty habit of sending me a longer way or the wrong way.

I digress here ...Sunday night while a was towing a 23ft trailer it sent me up a dead end NO Through Road, it just a short street where they had blocked the road from the Great Western HWY. I didn't see it till it was too late as it was on a slight incline . I can tow a trailer for 300kms , turn corners but not reverse trailers - EVER. Well without it ending up the wrong direction.

My hubby, also towing a 32ft trailer with the truck, was stopped up another road waiting for me to bring dinner ... $#*! I knew for him to turn around and help me would have been quite a feat too.
What did I do ...lets just say I went up the curb , drove across the grass verge, a driveway and continued on my way =) - never mind the bumps.
 
Okay - so back to today. I tried the new way and it only took about 30 mins. I still got red lights, though I am sure - less and no waiting over 5mins at the railway crossing.It was mostly 2 lanes all the way too. I knew this way existed but I'd never I tried it. It's the new best way.

I could add I also gave myself an extra 15 mins (count that as the #4 new thing because I am always leaving at the last minute possible)




Day #3 of 31DBBB is to promote a blog post.

Joining in memes like Kymmie's is an excellent way to self promote , and even better if it is a blog hop. It will show on all participating blogs who add the blog hop code. I know at the moment I get a lot of visits via Maxabella  loves Grateful blog hop. We all promote each others' posts .

I try to promote other blogs regularly.  When I host Wordless Wednesday I tweet their tweet buttons at the bottom of their post after I comment. I will tweet a link myself in the form of a brief comment. I have yet to add those buttons myself ...another thing to add to my blog makeover.

I also have # Wordless Wednesday search column in my Tweetdeck and if I see bloggers I recognise I will yretweet. It's important to me to do this as an appreciative gesture - since quite a few of them link back to my blog because I am the host. It helps promote and share the linky love.

Already , I have been Re-Tweeting those bloggers I follow with 31DBBB tweet posts too.

In the past I have stumbled a few posts too. It is one tool I could use more.


I have to decide about adding a widget for 'blogs I follow recent posts with title's'. The 'kind' that says when the last post was updated. Often I will click over blog hopping from one to another without passing Go on my google reader if I see a title that catches my interest.


How else do you promote yourself and other blogs ?
Have you tried something new this week ? Please go tell Kymmie.

mummytime 
FYBF is being kindly hosted by gorgeous  Glowless this week

  Never miss a post

9 comments :

ClaireyHewitt said...

The tweet links are as simple as clicking a button on one of the gadgets in bloodspot, will take you less than a minute. DO IT. Because there are times I want to tweet a post and the button is not there, so I just move on to the next post.

Tat said...

It's always good when you find new way to save yourself some time.

I couldn't find you on Twitter. I am either following you without knowing it, or you are not on the 31dbbb lists... @muminsearch

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

@Clairey - I will check it tomorrow. I use it every day on other blogs - just haven't got to adding it to mine.

@Tat - Yes time and less stress.

Unknown said...

You did great! We have a boat and a trailer and I HATE attempting to reverse either! It's so hard (but I persist) and one day I will be successful. Sometimes the GPS finds ways I didn't know about. I have a frient who lives in my suburb but it always takes me so long to get there! I GPSed it after going to her place for four years and just discovered a new way (and it's so much shorter!) So there you go. It looks as though old dogs can learn new tricks! Well done you!!!! And I hope your dentist wasn't too harsh on you.

Thanks so much for linking up and we look forward to discovering what you learnt next week??? xx

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

@Kymmie - when we move to the farm I'll practice - I promise. Lots of room & nothing to hit but the soccer 'cones'. Hub is a good teacher.

My trip to the Dentist was a checkup , and because I went to the loo while I waited for them - I had to come back . Then it was to replace an old filling that had fallen out. Bit of drilling but no jabs.

I will try to join in again. I will challenge myself to try something new each week ;).

Anonymous said...

My blog desperately needs a makeover and I am really bad at self promoting on my blog. I do always link to other bloggers if relevant but haven't had the courage to tweet new blogs. Perhaps that can be a new thing to do next week? My new thing for this week was to go to uni. I have day 2 today and am only 'mildly' freaking out!

Jayne said...

Good on you, Trish!
I don't have the time or patience or brain power at the moment but you're doing great :)

MultipleMum said...

I did 31BBB last year. I am a nerd like that. It was a great thing to do - I had just started blogging and was trying to work out how it all worked. I should revisit some of the ideas as you guys do. A 'refresher' of sorts. I think doing it as a 'community' will be great! Good luck and well done on the 'new things'. I try to link up with Kymmie when I can :)

Glow said...

I love the saying "The difference between a routine and a rut is the depth of the groove". I like going different ways to get places and exploring my own neighbourhood :)
Thanks for the link, but how did you know I was gorgeous? :P

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.