Thursday, 29 January 2009

Broken leg Chronicles

It is all my fault ! I feel so guilty. Though it is green stick (simple) fracture at the foot (distal) end of his tibia and the best fracture to have apparently the Dr said ! It wasn't displaced . I feel bad for will be six long weeks.

Tuesday I took my boys to the local swimming pool with a friend , her 2 yr old son and her little sister.

We splashed and played. We chased our wild little ones as they jumped and ran about...
My friend and her two year old had already been down the water slide many times before we got there. Then open it every hour .I took J down the slide. S followed behind me, alone , a few kids later.

As I waited at the bottom of the slide to catch him (from going down into the water -though he truly loves the water). I underestimated the speed and the force , he was on his belly and feet first .His right leg hit the top of my thigh - hard and he screamed , then cried for a bit. It hurt me too.

He wouldn't let me put him down and as I went to shower and change into dry clothes to go home I knew he wouldn't weight bear on that leg. He just cried. I planned to take him to the DR to get checked.

We ate a quick lunch with our friends and I came home briefly to see how he would be after a nap and besides I needed my get my older son for help (with my other 2 yr old).S went to sleep straight away but woke soon after crying. I packed everyone in the car and we to the local hospital it was about 4.30pm when we arrived.

They looked busy. A tea lady offered me a cup of tea & biscuits. Gladly I accepted it , then I had to take S for an xray. She even made em another when we got back.

The triage nurse gave S Paracetamol for the pain. By 5.30 S had been xrayed.My husband picked up my oldest son and J after work.

No one told us if it was or wasn't broken till after 7.30pm when S was hungry and wanting, crying food /drink from the vending machines that other were enjoying around us.
A helpful nurse said yes it was fractured and needed a back slab(temporary splint) and it would happen soon...WRONG -we were barely half way into the wait.

I was sitting on hard plastic chair holding him because he didn't want to be put down.
They gave us nothing at all. I had to call my husband to bring food and change for the vending machines.The waiting room was full of broken and limping people it seemed. Another fellow (who had a broken ankle and multiple grazes had already been waiting since 1pm till 10pm.

S was either entertaining (laughing as I played games or just talking to himself) or annoying the other people (by crying) .When my husband arrived someone remarked loudly ..." hooray Daddy saves the day" . Though S cried bitterly when he left as he wanted to go home too.

I was 'patient' to a point but there appeared to be no movements.Nothing was happening.No ambulances arriving no emergencies. At 9pm they said 3 in front of us. At 11pm there were still 2 to go.

I was going to leave at 11.30pm and return the next morning. Then they said he was the next one ... yes so he was at 1am.

S finally went to sleep at about midnight.The kindly Dr was tired and it been a long day /night for her -only 2 Drs on. I didn't blame her . The Health system in NSW sucks. Though I'm grateful we have free access to this health care.

She applied the temporary short back slab up to his knee . S was asleep the whole time. He was so tired .The DR wrote a discharge letter for our GP.We walked out the door it was over 9 hrs later.

Yesterday was hard ...try keeping a normally very busy and active 2 year still against his wishes.He wanted to be carried everywhere I went. I could barely leave the room.

He was so frustrated. Though he knows it hurts if he tries to weight bear on it.I like the worst mummy in the world because I can't make it better and it is my fault.

Today, we went to the Children's hospital for another review .Though I knew we had to wait again a much shorter wait.It still took about 4 hrs. The previous Dr only had said it was left leg in the letter ... wrong one. I only noticed when I gave them the letter at triage.

I told them it was RIGHT but they still wrote for his left leg to be re xrayed (the other hospital didn't give us the xrays because they to be reported on).

So S had another x-ray. In xray I insisted it was the right leg and they kept asking me was I sure ! (SURE I'm SURE). Another short wait but in the Emergency room and a new back slab was put on.

This one is all the way up to his thigh to stop him moving his knee too. A play therapist gave both boys books to read and blew bubbles for them . Then she came into the plaster room and stayed while they put the cast on , reading him a story and keeping him entertained. He had to be on his tummy.

It was really quite lovely as lovely as it can be when unpleasant things have to be done.

Yesterday, S was already trying to scoot around on his butt and using left leg or even the right a bit.

He even 'ventured' to get down where ever I plonked him - I stopped him. It will be a miracle if he gets through 6 weeks without breaking something else. He is such a monkey.

He is going to be most upset he can't play outside with his brother, jump on the trampoline, ride his bike let alone go no where near the water or sand pit or go to the park ...though I hope he can still use the swing.

I don't feel so bad that I am going to enslaved for 6 weeks carrying him and carrying out his every command , hour upon hour of playing cars, building towers and chasing errant or thrown toys or even refereeing fights between his twin ... who has quickly worked out that he now has the comeuppance on speed and a quick getaway with the most coveted toys.

I just feel bad I won't be able to do much house cleaning ;) ... the dust can wait hey !

I hope the TV /DVD gives us a little respite.

I think the little red wagon will get well used again too...

Right now my old camera is keeping him happy - 500 shots of his fingers and leg /ceiling - who cares.

Never miss a post


Super Sarah said...

Oh no, poor you and poor little guy. The almost exact same thing happened to a friend in my mothers group. Her little guy coped well with the cast on and healed up really well. I am sure you will survive and the weeks will fly by!

superrelish said...

Ouch you poor thing.
We made it 5 years before our first broken bone and we had a not-so-pleasureable hospital encounter also. My son broke his wrist in a small town an hours drive away. He cried himself to sleep in the car and was woken to be taken into emergency. Only when he was settled into a room did they think to tell us that they had no access to xray facilities, we would have to go elsewhere! They did put a backslab on it and referred him to the Children's in Melbourne. He had a backslab for just over a month, but broke it within a week - climbing a tree!
Good luck keeping your boys entertained and yourself sane.

Louisa said...

Oh Trish, poor kid - poor you. How are you all faring?

Anonymous said...

Oh the poor thing and poor you too! I hope the next 6 weeks goes by without too many more dramas and is bearable for the both of you. xoxo

Jen at Semantically driven said...

Oh dear. I can sympathise with the lot wait in the hospital. Not much for fun for anyone. Hopefully he can still get some water time in summer even with the cast on - somehow.

M said...

Oh I empathise. PL got a greenstick fracture to his arm from falling from the monkey bars a couple of years back - just before a trip to Uluru.

M+B said...

Oh the poor little mite! I cannot believe that they made a 2 year old endure a long wait like that (oh hang on Yes I can)!

I hope the six weeks is not too unpleasant for him, I'm sure he'll find a way to get mobile - 2 year old boys are very resourceful!

Badness Jones said...

The poor darlin'! Give him a great big hug and a kiss. No broken bones here yet (knock wood!) but Sam had 6 stitches over his eye at 18 mos old, after he jumped off the staircase without looking to see if there was someone to catch him. I was behind him and missed the back of his overalls by an inch. The ER sucks, but they do the best they can.

alicia said...

oh no! poor guy, my god daughter broke her leg not to long ago, but she is fine now! the limited movement frustrated her, but she got used to it!

Jeanette said...

OMW cannot believe you had to wait so long! That's crazy!

Soralis said...

Hospital sounds like quite the nightmare. They always seem to put the kiddos in first if they can at our local hospital. (Sometimes that can be frustrating if you are writhing in pain and someone with the sniffles gets in, in front of you! LOL)

Good luck! And thanks for stopping by my blog!

Jayne said...

Oh you poor things!
In this horrible heat, too.
Hope he doesn't get too frustrated and gets out of plaster as quick as can be!

jeanie said...

Oh poor both of them - one hobbled and the other's best playmate knobbled.

I hope the next 6 weeks passes with limited gnashing of teeth.

Xbox4NappyRash said...

oh no! the poor wee man.
oh no.

tiff said...


Wow, you have been busy AND with the Mummy guilts to boot. You must be exhausted.

I know how long it takes to get through emergency and it sucks bananas.
Our health system is in real trouble.

I can only send hugs your way at the moment but we will be down to visit soon.

I'm so sorry this happened and I am going to say you shouldn't beat yourself up, it wasn't your fault but I also know that when you feel bad that there is very little anyone can say or do to make it better.

Hugs my friend.

Dee from Downunder said...

I am touching wood I never have to experience this...
(came via WTBAY)

le @ thirdontheright said...

oh no - this is not so good !! I have some dvds / videos to send you if you feel comfortable emailing me your address - promise no letter bombs !

my thoughts are with you and yes the medical system does suck ! le xox

Hippomanic Jen said...

I hope the next few weeks fly by!

Cathy said...

poor baby...and poor you. don't blame yourself - you obviously didn't intend for this to happen. life will certainly be harder until he gets that cast off!

Cathy said...

oh, forgot to say that the few times we've found ourselves in the local emergency department, we have seen a doctor reasonably quickly...but I know that wouldn't be the case in many hospitals in NSW :( The hospital to which I refer is not in an affluent area - people would probably be surprised at its efficiency!

Paula said...

Awwwwww....feel so bad for the both of you! HUGS and KISSES!!!!!!!!!!You can make it through this ...of course.

PlanningQueen said...

Oh the poor little thing! With this heat it will be so difficult to keep him entertained and cool.

Blossom said...

yikes...poor litle guy..
don't beat yourself up was an accident.ok??an accident!!!
lots of hugs for you all..

bloody horrid nsw hospitals.

how are you all today??

Mistress B said...

Oh my!! I hope he heals quickly and that the next 6 weeks flies by without too much frustratio

Anonymous said...

Trish I hope he's OK and the next 6 weeks fly for you.


katef - said...

oh no you poor things going through all of that! Hope the next few weeks in plaster go fast!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.