Monday 20 February 2012

Pancake Flippin'

Tomorrow is #Shrove Tuesday also more commonly known as PancakeDay the day before Ash Wednesday!
An old photo twin 1 took of his brother in July !
 If you are in Sydney tomorrow - Tuesday the 21st of February head on down to Martin Place, Sydney between 7 – 11 a.m to see Award-winning chef Brad Jolly from Alchemy Restaurant, and once personal chef to the Queen Mother. The Royals love Pancakes apparently!

Alex be encouraging spectators to join in and make a Pancake or two in an attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the most Pancakes flipped in one minute.#2

I can't make it :( -  but Australian Eggs is trying to get Pancake day on the Map. I bet it will be flippin' fun - I cannot flip them - I use an egg flipper . I have tried much to the amusement of my children. What a mess !!

I have used many pancake recipes always with three key ingredients – eggs, self-raising flour and milk –plus I use melted butter in the mix . I do use a little sugar for sweet pancakes too. Truly my favourite recipe is here - tomorrow I am swapping milk for buttermilk.

Anyone can create delicious homemade pancakes - pfft why should you pay anyone else outrageous prices to make them.

Pancakes are not just a favourite breakfast in my house - we can eat them at any time of the day, sadly not so much now the drummer boys started school ...they still make a delectable dessert ! 

I have tried them savory style once upon a time (20 yrs ago-yes I am that old) with friends when to Pancakes at Parramatta or the Rocks. I do eat them with Bacon sometimes, more often with icecream and strawberries, blueberries and caramelised bananas. Sometimes yoghurt or ricotta !

Brad's top tip -  the key to making the perfect Pancake?
First have a really good non stick pan, than once you pour batter into a very hot pan make sure that you wait until you see air bubbles forming - this tells you it's time to flip it.

#2 The current title currently sits at 117 pancakes flipped, achieved by Aldo Zilli (Italy) on the set of Blue Peter, BBC 1, London, UK, on 24 February 2009.

PS : The happiest day of my Western Australian adventure was the day both my twins decided they wanted to try and EAT eggs - now they want them every day.
The Heart Foundation’s latest review of the evidence showed that all Australians can eat up to 6 eggs per week as a part of a healthy balanced diet that is low in saturated fat. That’s an egg a day for six days or three serves of two in a week.
If you want the best tips on how to boil/poach/scramble eggs? (Or any questions around cooking with eggs)
A huge range of great tips and tricks, as well as recipes, can be found at www.eggs.org.au.

#Tradiitonally - it meant you used up the flour, eggs and dairy products in your kitchen before the start of Lent which is a time of abstinence and reflection in the 40 days before Easter.