Saturday 20 December 2008

Making the most ...when life is a bitch

I can't post a Smiley Saturday today.I feel overwhelmed and sad. It isn't about me though. I have just read the most heart breaking post written by Emilie, a mum of two small boys as she is preparing to die.

I have quietly been following Emilie's story for a while . Emilie was diagnosed with an aggressive cancer in the early weeks of pregnancy with her second son. She delivered her beautiful, boy almost a year ago. Emilie braved surgery, chemo and other treatment and seemingly beat the odds, but the cancer reoccurred .

I cannot imagine for a minute how she is feeling. She has to face this reality and prepare herself and her family for the worst outcome... something no young family should have to do.

Yet she wrote in the article Finding joy in the midst of darkness
What if I allow myself to put the outcome in God’s hands and just live intensely in the present, absorbing and embracing life as it happens? Emilie Lemmons
the full article is here .

I am so humbled and inspired by her words on redefining joy and in this season of comfort and joy she can teach us so much. Early in her journey she wrote ...

If there is a bright side to any of this, it's that the unimportant, superficial things in our lives have suddenly fallen away, and we are intensely focused on what remains truly important, which is each other, our family, and making the most of the time we have together now. Emilie Lemmons
The message I will take away is life is far too precious and we should ....just live intensely in the present, absorbing and embracing life as it happens. I'll let the superficial things in life go and stop sweating the small stuff. In the end will they matter.

Emilie's story reminds me of Randy Pausch's Last Lecture.

Carpe Diem ... Today and always I will be thankful beyond measure and vow to seize every day that I can to Live well, Laugh often, & Love with all of my heart!

so what would you say or do ?




Never miss a post

11 comments :

Unknown said...

My friend Trish,
I understand your heartache for this young woman who is dying - I, too, have had a heavy heart for so many who are suffering during this season.
This woman speaks such truth: about what is truly important. As you say, she is an inspiration to us all.
Thank you so much, Trish, for your visits to my blog and your always uplifting comments.
Your recent prayer for my dear young friend whose husband recently left especially touched me.
Thank you - it meant a lot to me.
Let's continue to hold up in prayer those we know who are hurting this Christmas.
He and He alone can heal broken hearts.
Love,
Jlo

Liz said...

Heartbreaking. I couldn't click on the links, it'd be too much just now - and I don't have any hankies to hand!

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog.

M said...

How terribly heartbreaking.

Lilly said...

Trish - wow that is so hard isnt it? I think Emilie is correct - you have to allow yourself to put the outcome in Gods hands and just live in the present. We never know what is around the corner. I personally know this as do you. Life is a roller coaster ride. Enjoy the good times and live through the bad as best we can putting our faith in God. Its the only way I can look at it.

Take Care and I will say some prayers for Emilie and her family.

Debbie said...

I'm like you in the inability to imagine how she is handling this with such grace. We should all hold her family in our prayers.

In Due Time said...

Heartbreaking. Cancer is a bitch.

(((Hugs))))

ICLW

Michelle said...

That is so sad and heartbreaking and inspiring. She is truly an amazing person. Thank you for sharing this.

Stephanie said...

All I can say is thank you for sharing Emilie's story.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Thank you ladies , the blogging community can only offer our thoughts and prayers for this inspiring young lady.

Emilie's story is sadly only one of many I have read recently.

Young lives taken too soon.

Cathy said...

You reminded me to stop complaining. Emilie's story is heartbreaking! So brave facing the unthinkable!

p.s. Love your new banner. I'm still subscribed and reading your blog, just don't always have the time to comment. Should do so more often.

Crazed Nitwit said...

Appreciate what and who have in your life each and every day.





HUGS

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.