Tuesday 1 April 2008

Phone Etiquette and fools

Heads - Fool , Foolish, Foolhardy~ 1st April ~ or 'whatever'
I hate it when my teen says that to me



The other day I was blog hopping by clicking on links and came across this one on Phone Manners and the joys of telemarketers by Red Neck Mommy.

It reminded me of my own foolish misadventure...when I was sweet sixteen and butter wouldn't melt in my mouth.

The Preface ...
We had a detached Granny flat ~where my Nana (Dad's mum) lived for 4 years . She was divorced but had remarried. My dad built it for her and she lived there for 5 yrs while nursing her 2nd husband through cancer -then after he passed away she met a new man and they got together. My parents then rented the little flat to various relatives and friends - my uncles, the neighbours' son's girlfriend, Mum's best friend and her sons. No strangers but known people.

I was home alone - well in my parents' house alone but in the backyard flat were three older boys ('keeping it clean' - though I definitely had vibes they had dirty things in their pants on their minds). They were all older about 17 -2o and their mother , B lived in the flat at the time.They stayed with her for days/weeks sometimes. 'B' was out too.

At some stage they were in the house and I was feeling a weird about their foolhardy behaviour and they were getting a little too touchy. I think I eventually asked them to go 'home'.I locked the back door behind them.I felt uneasy.I still remember it. Creepy. I wouldn't let them back in.They keep knocking and banging.

Then they started calling the house phone - they were on the other phone extension of same line . At the time you could call 1 9 9 (I think it was) and the extension or main phone would ring. They continued to bug me for a while. I confess to somewhat enjoying the game in the beginning.

After about a dozen times ... the fool in me didn't think to just leave the phone off the hook... I was getting pretty P*SSED off annoyed at them. It rang again ... I picked up the phone and screamed
said "p * s s off !"

Imagine my horror and the wet patch on the floor when my Dad's, church going, stepmother (so my step grandmother and remember poor Cinderella) said
"I beg your pardon"

What a fool I was to say it and to her of all people - I should have checked who was on the phone first.

I can't remember what happened next but there were a lot of tears ... I was so scared of her (she once rubbed soap on my teeth @ 5yrs because she thought I told a lie and my parents weren't there to stop her- I didn't lie - but that is another story).

I waited up till my parents got home and told them my foolish and sorry tale. They understood and were 'cool' about it. I really don't remember being punished -only having to apologise. They knew what the ass hats 'boys' were like.

I wished we had an answering machine !

Has this ever happened to you ?

I digress ... I hate talking to answering machines. I detest it. I sound like a gibbering fool. I even hated making the messages for our business phone too.

So being the fool that I am ... I thought this was so kewl ... a quote I nabbed from somewhere by River
I don’t have a machine, but if I did it might say,

“River’s answering machine is on holiday, this is the refrigerator speaking. If you speak slowly and clearly I will take you name and number and stick it to myself with a little magnet”.
I love it ...

Though I hate voice mail on my mobile phone too - please txt me so I don't have to pay to retrieve messages.

Your turn - what is the funniest answering machine message you have heard ?

HoT is hosted by Skittles at the new Heads Or Tails Blog


13 comments :

Barb said...

I don't think I've ever made that mistake on the phone but I DID use to play phone pranks. Naughty me! LOL!

I never know what to say to answering machines either!!!

just jamie said...

I so rarely hear answering machines anymore. It seems to be automated voice mail.

I do love when the tiny tots make the message, so long as it's short.

I know, I'm boring today.

Anonymous said...

Answering machines !!!! I waffle waffle waffle until the beep cuts me off....lol.

Funny story too.

Anonymous said...

Your story had me cracking up! I don't have an answering machine either. They annoy me.

Anonymous said...

lolol!

I once answered my parent's phone with "Our town Morgue! You kill 'em we chill 'em."

My dad's boss was on the other end.

Alison said...

A friend of mine has on her mobile voice mail (so you can't hear a machine 'pick up')
"Hello?......"
"Ha! Gottcha. Leave a message after the beep."
Very annoying. It gets me every time.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

i have been the victim and prankster of many phone pranks ... ever get a message to call

Sue Ridge at the water board.

Or MR G Raffe at the Zoo

Anonymous said...

I think the funniest voice mail I've heard is a singing one. Now that's silly. lol

Anonymous said...

This is funny now, but you must have felt awful then! I know I've done this more than once, but I can't remember any specifics. I LOVE taking advantage of voice mail and vastly prefer text messages too!

Misty DawnS said...

My best friend and her siblings would answer the phone "M's morgue, which stiff would you like?" I'd always just laugh and say, "Shut up and put B on the phone!" hehe

Happy April Fools Day.

Gattina said...

Geez, what a frustrated bitch that was your step grandmother without any humor ! she should have been happy about your self defense ! You did absolutely right ! (smile*)

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

Skittles - me too!
I waffle like you Widdle Shamrock and then cringe at the impression I have left.

LOL Bettina - did he like the joke ?

Alison - I've been caught on those too

She was less than impressed Gattina - to put it mildly - she wasn't the 'forgiving type'.

Vixen - yes I can smile now ...and
I did feel awful Byrning bunny but after I didn't get in trouble I felt vindicated for the soap incidence and many others - she was a little 'meaner' to her step grandchildren.

Sher- one of the funniest I remember recently was a family called Adams and they had they sang the theme song ...hilarious.

Misty - My brother did a great impersonation of chinese takeaway to my friends.

Woman with a Hatchet said...

That situation sounded pretty scary to me! One would think your step g-ma would have understood!

Can't think of any answering machine messages, but I made quite a few prank calls when I was a kid. Bad me!

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.