Saturday 10 November 2007

I am going Bananas

over Caramel Walnut Banana cake

I have been very inspired by all the recipes and talk of food in the blogsphere. I mean what's a girl (err lady) suppsoed to do when she is trying to keep her figure ... open another block of chocolate or eat some cake... well both !

I must admit to hating to throw out food.I hate wastage. Lately, the bananas have been cheap but they get very ripe quickly.Maybe it is the humid weather I don't know.
So I found these recipes and the result is scrumptious ... especially when served warm ,drizzled with caramel sauce (as in caramel sticky date pudding sauce) and vanilla icecream.

I jiggled the ingredients ... I made the banana caramel cake and I added oven roasted walnuts for a bit of texture.


The brown sugar helps the cake to banana cake to develop a lovely caramel flavour.


Ingredients:

(3 bananas used for this recipe)
125g butter
¾ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana
1 ½ cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¾ cup sour cream
1 tablespoon milk
half cup chopped and roasted walnuts


Method:

Grease a 14 cm x 21 cm (5 inch x 8 inch) loaf pan or I use a lamington pan (for 40mins baking time).

Cream butter and sugar in small bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy, beat in eggs, one at a time, beat until combined.

Transfer mixture to large bowl, stir in banana. Stir in half the sifted dry ingredients with half the combined sour cream and milk then stir in remaining dry ingredients and sour cream mixture, stir until smooth. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake in moderate oven for about one 1 hour, stand 5 minutes before turning onto wire rack to cool. (if you lamington pan it is only 40 - 45mins because it's shallower)

Keeping time: 4 days ( Ha ha I don't think so)

2 comments :

Veronica Foale said...

It sounds delicious!

Momisodes said...

Oh my....that sounds like a great recipe. I'll have to try it when we move into our house with a bigger kitchen. Take pics and post when u bake these again! :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.