Wednesday 1 October 2014

What makes the Mirage Sedan a perfect family car ?

Brought to you by Kids Business and Mitsubishi

Two weeks ago I took the wheel of a new Mitsubishi Mirage sedan. A zippy affordable and fun family car to drive, with great maneuverability. I loved it right from slipping into driver’s seat with it’s easy slide, recline and height adjustment .

Once comfy I adjusted the power door mirrors in seconds, plugged in my music and for two days I drove it in and out of Sydney’s crazy, chaotic traffic system.


I do not miss Sydney traffic one iota. I felt very safe knowing it had a 5 star ANCAP safety rating ! The kangaroos are more predictable than some drivers.

Then I drove home to Dubbo. The week whizzed by all too soon and sadly it was time to head back to Sydney for them to pry the Smartkey from my fingers.

Safety is my biggest concern when choosing a family vehicle – my cargo is precious.


Mirage’s has 6 SRS airbags -driver and passenger front airbags , side and curtain airbags – so driver and passengers are super protected in the event of collisions along with all this very technical gear...

* Brake assist. A system that monitors the swiftness of a driver's brake pedal application and applies additional braking force if it determines that a panic stop is occurring...thankfully not required during my test drive.

* Active stability & traction control. This maintains stability and control when cornering by automatically recognising under-steer and over-steer. It applies brakes to the appropriate wheels to keep you online through corners...not that I tested it will my usual rally driving.

* RISE body . Reinforced impact safety evolution: This provides a reinforced body construction, coupled with a four-member battery frame directly connected with the chassis, strengthens the entire body and improves collision protection. I trust them at their word – I doubt they wanted me to review this feature.

* ABS . Anti-lock braking system. Delivers lock-free braking power and control in emergency situations and on slippery roads. Happy to know it was there , not that I needed it in the Mirage . * EBD. The electronic brake-force distribution system distributes braking force to all four wheels to enhance braking performance. Braking felt so smooth at the lightest touch .

Occasionally I drive my husband’s very thirsty 4WD . I was really surprised at Mirage’s fuel efficiency - best in it’s class. Up until 18 months ago I drove a medium hatch back style family car (we purchased it new) for 5 yrs with less features , a heftier price tag and not as fuel efficient as I would have liked.

Mirage has so many features I don’t have time to list them all and to pick a favourite – impossible. Here are a few :

The model I tested was LS – which had a few additional features – my favourite the Keyless operating system with one-touch start system –the ignition starts by pressing the button located in the dash panel and the brake pedal at the same time. I was familiar with this in my ‘expensive’ husband’s 4WD.

Also, once the key is in your handbag or on your person – you can lock/unlock and operate the vehicle at the press of the button. Very handy when the key is buried like mine in the bottom of a Mary Poppins bag filled with junk.

The dusk sensing headlamps sense when it gets dark or when traveling through a tunnel –on they go. Rain /moisture sensing wipers add up to fewer things to distract the driver from the road ahead.

All Mirage sedans are equipped with all the latest technology and igadgets we all expect –
Bluetooth® phone connectivity with audio streaming and voice control,steering wheel with audio and phone controls , USB input and four speakers – the sound system was music to my ears.


CONVENIENCE AND FEATURES The Mirage Sedan comes in two model variants. The Mirage Sedan ES, is available with manual transmission or automatic CVT. Mirage Sedan LS has higher specs with automatic CVT.

While the top of the range– the LS Mirage Sedan I drove offers options that you might not expect in a car of this price range , the standard features are a neat package too.



The electric power steering made city parking and driving a breeze.

Equipped with 15-inch aluminium alloy wheels , the Mirage is very sporty with lots of shiny chrome

Who doesn’t love power windows with driver side auto up and down! Not so much for the kids.

My boys are almost out of car safety seats for their age but not for height and weight . Mirage sedan is gives a choice of three tether anchorage points and two Isofix hooks - so you can fit two child seats easily. The drop down console with arm rests and drink holders definitely impressed my dynamic duo.




Over , a Lindt dessert lunch with my friend in Sydney , I told her my reason for a second visit in a week . She was very impressed and commented she owned her Mitsubishi Colt for 18 yrs . I had her when I mentioned the price.


Best Hot Chocolate ever !


Competitively priced within the light car segment ranging -from $15,990 to $19,485 drive away - The Mirage Sedan range has a stunning array of inclusions – the only thing I missed was cruise control. I was very aware of how zippy the car was and I noted the presence of many police vehicles on the motorways .


As the miles kilometres ticked away I knew the promised fuel economy of 4.9l/100km was no advertising spiel – it’s very honest and economical.



I loved the comfortable low beltline and slim front pillars that contributed to superior all-around visibility especially out the front windscreen that enhances driving safety. Better , I think than our large 4WD. 

I stopped for a break and coffee – (love the extra cup holders –so I can have my water and coffee within easy reach. Just as I hit the open road again , I remembered I needed fuel - along with the fuel gauge and there is usage range meter. Uh oh- I had to turn back to Mudgee and fill up once I realised I might not make it.

From the outside the large 450-litre boot storage isn’t obvious – pop the boot (with the keyless press button) and it is massive –It will fit all your groceries, prams, toys or luggage for a weekend getaway. I could easily have fit inside too not that I tried because nimble I am not.





Thirty years driving, many , many different models and car brands – this was one of my favourite medium family cars! The value for money is sensational and it is a very sophisticated package.



The Mirage Sedan is designed for families looking for affordability and value for money without compromising on standard features, latest technology, safety and space. For more information visit the Mirage Sedan Showroom here !