Tuesday 19 November 2013

Philips PerfectCare Aqua Pressurised Steam Iron - many thanks Henry and Thomas.

 Review

When I was asked to review the PerfectCare Aqua Pressurised steam iron - I couldn't say yes quick enough.

I had no idea it would be so big or so incredible !

On the end of my ironing board - told you it was huge !

After using the Philips PerfectCare Aqua for the last couple of months it has turned me from a person who detested ironing to an iron maiden who looks forward ironing. I used to leave it to the last minute ...like before I had to walk out the door to do the ironing. My twins never saw me iron till they were 3yrs old. 

"What's that ? "
"What are you doing ? "

I am serious. 


I either did it (rarely) while they were sleeping (so quickly) or I ignored it and sometimes my lovely MIL would do it. My older son didn't care about wrinkles, hubby wore wash n wear work-shirts and I hung everything on hangers when I put washing on the line - I did everything I could to avoid ironing.

I encouraged my husband step as and be Iron Man.

He often ironed the teens school shirts (only in summer)


Like to see this !

Within minutes it  outperformed my expectations - compared to my normal iron and I converted to this turbo charged steam generator. (I can't even find my old iron. We moved in the week this arrived and I've never looked back.)

I can brag my washing is perfectly ironed every time, even if I still have to do it myself. I have literally ironed hundreds of things and have tried it out on a whole lot of different clothes and fabrics. I had hubby time me - 8secs for the kids school polos and 8secs for shorts. Jeans were about 40secs.

Did you know ?

The IRON was named for the metal of which the device was commonly made. The electric iron was invented by a New York inventor. Henry W. Seeley.

(So I looked it up - technically I didn't know) Ironing works by loosening the ties between the long chains of molecules that exist in polymer fiber materials. Heat and the weight of the ironing plate, stretch the fibers and the fabric maintains its new shape when cool. His iron weighed almost 15 pounds and took a long time to warm up.

Previously, a cluster of solid irons were heated from a single source, as the iron currently in use cooled down, it could be quickly replaced by a hot one. It was back breaking and slow ...I imagine I'd have not bothered.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries,  irons were also heated by fuels such as kerosene, ethanol,  carbide gas (acetylene) or even gasoline...imagine the danger fun in that - NOT !

There was no easy way to control their temperature, and the first thermostatically controlled electric iron appeared in the 1920s. The innovative invention of the steam iron goes to Thomas Sears .  Commercially available electric steam irons were not available until 1926. The first steam iron to achieve 'popularity' was the $10 Steam-O-Matic of 1938 . It was a turning for our grandmothers.

Still our grandmothers would never have had time for social media with all the time they spent washing, starching and ironing. In my late teens my mother paid for an ironing lady - she hated it so much.

I was always burning or leaving a shine on our clothes with my too hot iron, impatiently rev'ving up the heat, to finish quicker. The Philips PerfectCare Aqua is easy to use with OptimalTemp technology, no more worrying about  damaging sensitive fabrics and imagine never have to sort the clothes anymore. No fiddling with the dial.

Forget burning your favourite top or having to check temperature settings on labels. PerfectCare Aqua utilises a cyclonic steam chamber and an advanced smart control processor to deliver just one setting for all clothes – including delicates like silk, linen, or polyester. Such is the amazing premium SteamGlide soleplate  - it’s scratch resistant, glides smoothly and easy to clean. 

 Favourite features :
  • Huge 2.2L water tank - it always irritated my husband when I asked him to refill my ironing water jug . Once filled it lasts a few ironing sessions. It flashed the other day to tell me to de-calc.
     
  • Up to 5 bars of steam pressure for fast ironing.

  • This iron is very light (1 kg) and designed to stay flat on the ironing board - though I kept trying to stand it up ; prevents the repetitive movements caused by placing the iron on the heel.
  • It’s ready to go in 2 mins - heated up and ready to zip through to the bottom of the basket (or lounge chair) in half the time. No more mountain of laundry to hide store.
  • Reasonable length cord between the base and the iron, I could set up the base on TV cabinet and there is stays – until we have guests.
  • PerfectCare Aqua delivers a powerful continuous steam output up to 120g/min and an additional steam boost up to 220g for hard crease removal when ironing things like denim.  
  • 100% safe on all ironable garments
  • I was surprised at how quickly I could iron the top of my sheets whilst folded – I hate the irregular creases because it seems to have a 'memory' and it causes the sheets to wear/fray on the same crease. No, I didn’t iron the whole sheet but I could have because the pressurised steam penetrates deep into layers & fabrics.
  • You can lock your Philips steam iron securely and carry your pressurised steam generator easily.

My husband's nephew was here as I unpacked my iron - he said excitedly "Is that a Philips Steam iron ? We have one of them I can iron my shirts in 40seconds and Jess can iron her blouses , vertically - still on then hanger - she steams them vertically ! "  He had me at 40secs - and that he did the ironing. I love the extra versatility - steam iron hanging clothes and my jackets.

The only thing to be aware is that steam irons generate water so watch the floor under where you iron and I don't iron semi-naked anyone - I can't be the only stupid one - to get steamed belly burns ! 


Disclosure: I was sent the Philips PerfectCare Aqua (RRP $399.95)  to review, all opinions are my own - especially the warning about not ironing naked. I hope I can get one to giveaway :).

'm going PINK for a Purpose in Sussan Women’s Fun Run - I'm running my first HALF MARATHON   , raising funds for Breast Cancer Network Australia, if you would like to sponsor me - every $  or [$21.10] counts ;) - sponsor me here