Tuesday 25 August 2009

Chocolate brownies 101

As promised ...These are the best brownies I have tasted ,made from scratch and easy to make (if 1 you follow the directions . Very rich and decadent but so, so good.
  • 150g butter (melted)
  • 1 cup Nestle Baking cocoa
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups sugar (I used caster sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • ¾ cup plain flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 pkt (250g) of white choc bits (I only used 100g each of white and 100g milk ...skimping on chocolate in no way affected taste)
  1. Preheat oven to 160 °C (see hint below to write the degree symbol in html ...too easy).Line an 18cm x 28cm lamington tin with baking paper (I lined it right up the sides ,makes it easy to lift out and nothing sticks).
  2. Melt butter and stir in NESTLE Baking cocoa. Cool slightly (though the white choc bits will disguise the eggy bits if you forget)
  3. Beat in eggs. STIR in sugar & vanilla (DO NOT TRY TO BEAT it makes a big mess trust me on this )
  4. Sift flour and baking powder together, add to cocoa mixture and stir until thoroughly mixed.
  5. Stir through 250gms choc bits ( white, white / milk or dark whatever )
  6. Spoon mixture into tin , evenly it is quite thick.
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 mins or until just firm when pressed in the centre.It will be moist and slightly chewy. Cook a little longer (5 mins) if you prefer a more cake like brownie or crunchier sides (watch carefully so they not burnt).
  8. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes (if you can wait that long) before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve cut into squares (or chunks of your choice) dusted with icing sugar /baking cocoa if so desired.
  9. Warning it is too good to share but ...of course you will or else !
  10. Serve alone or warm with icecream/cream and top with flaked chocolate.
I found this recipe on the Nestle baking cocoa tin ...but couldn’t find it on the Nestle website. I found this other similar and very easy recipe. Caramel choc pecan brownies
Next time I want to try adding walnuts ... and then Pecans and/or caramel or I’ll just use the above recipe.
For the diet conscious try this one Chocolate brownies ...warning I haven't tested this yet.

How do you type Celsius ° character symbol in html - & deg ; no spaces

or find it on the character map in your computer start/accessories/system tools/character map ...copy and paste.
My Sister in law just got back from 6 weeks in USA and she said they have a super brownie pan she wished she had of bought ...I want one too now.
I hope I can convince my mum to bring two home for us when she comes home from her Canada/US trip.
Sorry no cut brownie pictures because we ate them so fast ! It says serves 20 ...they are kidding me !


Never miss a post

12 comments :

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Nom nom. You are an evil woman as I know that I am going to be addicted to these!

Christie
http://childhood101.blogspot.com/

MissyBoo said...

Mmmmm... yum!

Hills N Valleys said...

YUMMY! what is caster sugar though?

Ching Ya said...

You had me with that chocolate tag underneath your post before I even read through the recipe! lol.. I'm not too much of a kitchen lady, but I sure love desserts! This is motivating for me to really try this piece out one day!

Until then, I'm going to tweet this! ^^

@wchingya
Social/Blogging Tracker

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

@Christie - I'm making some more today after I checked my supplies last night.

@Missyboo - indeed yum

@Overyonder - I copied and pasted - it basicaly fine sugar
" Most medium-to higher-end grocery stores in the United States should carry this in the baking or spice aisle with the other sugars. It will be labeled "caster," "superfine," "baker's sugar" or "bar sugar." Make certain that you have pure sugar. Normal white sugar will work just as well."

@Ching ya - thank you.It is really easy to make and you can get away with not using beaters.

Melody said...

Ooo look delicious. And how is that tin? I'm always on the lookout for tins and this particular one looks fab for cake slices, brownies etc.,! Awesome. Your mum should definitely try and get her hands on one for you...

LBA said...

love brownies - were unheard of in Australia when I went to the US in the late 80's.

I rolled off the plane when I got home!

yummmmmmmm :)

Mum-me said...

Yum! This sounds exactly like the Betty Crocker Triple Choc Brownie mix I used to buy. I'll have to try it and see if it tastes the same.

Debbie said...

Those sound great. I haven't ever added white chocolate to mine. Great idea.

Jenn said...

Those sound (and look) delicious! I will have to give those a try!

LauraC said...

Hey Trish, I don't think I have your email address so I thought would comment back (my email is in my blogger profile so it should show up for you!) about your hearing surgery. How very frightening but also encouraging that there is a way for them to fix it! From what I've read of hearing aids (and from my own experience) is they amplify the noise on all frequencies, whereas my stapedectomy and the BAHA (I think) restore the balance between the frequencies.

The most frustrating part to me was that I could hear objects perfectly fine but I could not hear people. My hearing surgery corrected that.

Anyway I will be thinking of you! I worry too about my boys getting otosclerosis but there is only so much you can control.

PlanningQueen said...

I have never actually made brownies before. I will have to give your recipe a crack.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.