Saturday 12 July 2008

Smiley Saturday

This week my husband was very sick (still is playing it up) and so were all the children but we still pulled a few smiles. It was also my birthday so of course lots of reasons to smile about that.
  • I received an unexpected gift from a family we helped .It warmed my heart they thought of me.The chocolates will be lovely ...except I will be restricting myself on my bloggest challenge.
  • I had lunch with two of my oldest and dearest 'school friends' .We discussed over lunch the fact we had almost been friends for 30 yrs OMG I am that old. We don't get to see each other as much now I have the twins and we don't talk . It was very special. I also got some lovely flowers and a plant.
  • S & J also got a present from my friend it was a action nursery rhyme book and CD - they laughed at mummy doing crazy actions .I laughed so much too.
  • I was being cheeky one day and squirted my little monsters with milk ... they squealed with laughter so much and learnt a new trick ...oops .A big boo boob.
  • Lastly , two more precious little babes Kai & Hamish were born safely to some of my friends from a pregnancy loss support group and that is the best reason to smile ever.

Tonight I went to a small fundraiser event night for another friend,G (40). I have known her over 20 years. She has been to Bolivia twice as missionary , a lovely single woman with a heart of gold and heart for God, the Gospel and the women and children of Bolivia. She is returning again in a few months to live there indefinitely.

Hearing the tragic stories of poverty but also the joy she brings children was heart grabbing. I cannot complain about my soft life...imagine being so poor you give you children to the orphanage because you are so poverty stricken you cannot feed /clothe or educate them.

Imagine leaving your children with burns in hospital for months and not being able to visit them because they are too far away and you are so poor. Though one little girl after her treatment was left at the orphanage so she could get clothes, toys and a better life.

I admit I was very teary. Shoes were given to small boy and then his mother had to sell them the next week so they could buy food. Young children left to roam the streets or attend mission cafes /centres because their parents had to work or for other reasons. Yet - the sweet looks on the childrens' grimy faces and beaming smiles made you want to gather them up and bring them to a safer place.

I came away with the knowledge we are blessed beyond measure and we have so little knowledge of the real dirt poor.

Never miss a post

9 comments :

Cathy said...

How very true - we often forget just how blessed we are.

Paula said...

Happy Birthday!!!!! Glad to hear it was a good one.

I have yet to figure out how to squirt milk. Maybe I just dont have the pressure built up he.

Yes...we are blessed...it is hard to imagine the lives of the impoverished..even when we see pictures and hear stories. What is it like to wake up with nothing...not even clean water? To see your children suffer for daily needs....oh the heartache. I heard somewhere...that world hunger could be solved with sprouts...hmmm...could it be? Of course you need water for that...but still...something to look into.

MUCH LOVE!!!!

storyteller said...

Happy belated birthday ... glad you found so many things to smile about even while surrounded by 'sick family members' and thanks for the timely reminder to count our blessings always. My Smiley Saturday is up at Small Reflections.
Hugs and blessings,

Journeyer said...

So many lovely reasons to smile - especially new babies. It's great to catch up with old friends, although sometimes scary when you count the years! I admire people like your friend so much. It's difficult to imagine the tragedy and heartache they must face every day.

Jayne said...

Some great smileys there :)
It's good to put things into perspective and remember "there but for the grace of God go I".

Anonymous said...

That is so true! We have very little comprehension of true poverty.

glad you had such a nice birthday week. :)

Anonymous said...

so glad to hear you had a good birthday!

Jenn said...

Oh my, I can't imagine leaving my little one like that. It must be incredibly hard. So very hard. I will remember those parents and children in my prayers.

Princess said...

This is my first Smiley Saturday and I am glad I joined. Your post had enlightened me tremendously. Blessings, how small they may be, are enough reason to smile. Thank you for sharing.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.