Thursday 19 November 2009

Where do you hide

...your cash ?

I read a while back about the lady looking for $1million hidden in a mattress she junked.
She bought her elderly mother a new mattress as a surprise and threw out the old one, only to discover that her mother had hidden her life savings inside.

OMG ... what about the bank !

I remember as teenager my Grandfather , an ex bank manager (...truth !), buried his cash under a lemon tree in his back yard among other places ;). Problem was he had three ...and they forgot . Well I just remember them(Uncles & Grandfather) digging up all three ..looking !

Once my hubby sold a car to an bricklayer .We delivered the car to him and went inside to count the cash (several thousand dollars) ...all of it hard, 'cold' cash that smelt of dirt , dank and damp, it was old but it wasn't actually dirty.

It was in all denominations some were thick bundles of $10 paper notes, around the time of the introduction of the plastic polymer notes.

I didn't have to wonder too hard what he might have been up too or maybe he didn't trust banks either.

We have a small safe ...not for cash just to stash our chocolate away from our teenager !
Frugal Dad has 7 secret places to hide cash.



Never miss a post

8 comments :

Beth P. said...

How crazy! Haha. When my family moved my great grandmother out of her house we discovered money between the pages of her books! Who knows if it was all found.

Jeanette said...

LOL, imagine the panic!
I use the bank... I'm boring that way

Secret Mom Thoughts said...

We use a bank but do have some cash stashed around the house.

Also your photos in your WW of your boy and his horse are awesome. Definitely frame worthy.

Jayne said...

It's in the box under the bed...the 5 cents pieces, that is lol.

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

Whatever you do, don't hide it in a makeup case. I did that once and it was found when we were robbed! Should have put it in the bank!

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

@Beth she obviously had a family of non readers ;) smart lady and maybe lucky bookworm.

@Jeanette ...I'm with you mostly ;)

Secret Mom~ thank you I might just do that for Grandpa for Christmas.

Jayne ~ lol , they count ! still have you seen the look on the faces when you hand shop assistants them a fistful of 5's to pay for something.

Christie ~ oh no , maybe they were looking for jewelry.

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

I once 'lost' for 6 months a sum of cash I'd hidden (can't say where and no you can't have my address lol ...it's all gone now) in my bedroom. I was sure some, uninvited by me, teenage visitors, had acquired it. Looked everywhere turned room upside down.
Long story but our son was staying with a teenage friend/family for weekend and his mother let them return to our home to stay overnight.UNSUPERVISED 15'S.
Yes what was she thinking ...
I had no proof and forgot about it....found it again six months later when I'd stop looking.

jeanie said...

I remember going through old letters and birthday cards of mine and finding money!!

Places I forget I stash are always the best.

Places that my ex never forgot I stashed were never very lucrative.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.