Tuesday 17 February 2015

Kids in the kitchen ~ Pancakes

 Unfortunately, we didn't make this moreish Cinnamon Roll Pancakes recipe today.
Today is Pancake Day - Shrove-Tuesday.

 Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
243Taylor OviedoTaylor Oviedo
Food that I shouldn't have
 

Our regular no fail light, fluffy and tender version with choc chips was the choice (for one child anyway) of the day.

1 1/2 cups milk
2 teaspoons  lemon juice
1 tablespoons caster sugar

Colorfully.eu1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cups self raising flour
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 large egg
30g approx (1 1/2 tablespoons) butter (melted)


  1. Into a medium jug place milk, lemon juice and sugar.Combine, and set aside for five minutes. It may develop a slightly curdled appearance.
  2. Whisk self-raising flour and bicarbonate of soda together in a large bowl.
  3. Melt the butter ; add egg and melted butter to the milk mixture. Whisk the mixture until the egg has mixed with the milk (the butter will sit on the surface).
  4. Combine the milk mixture with the flour mixture and whisk until almost smooth: the batter should still have a few small lumps. Don't over-mix the batter or the pancakes will be tough. 
  5. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. 
  6. While the pan is preheating , leave batter to stand at least two minutes. It will thicken (and depending on your preference you may prefer to add more milk a tablespoon at a time.
  7. Lightly grease your pan with butter if you prefer, I melt my butter in the same fry pan so I skip this. The melted butter through the mixture in a non-stick pan means I don't add any butter.
  8. After resting the batter, give it a light stir and pour back into the jug.
  9. Pour or spread the batter out to form an 10cm circles or shapes of your choice.
  10. Repeat to make another one or more pancakes, depending on the size of your frying pan. Adjust the heat as necessary as once heated I turn mine down a notch.
  11. I add choc chips or blueberries or cinnamon swirl to batter as side 1 starts to cook. Then I flip (wait until you see air bubbles forming - this tells you it's time to flip it)
  12. I stack mine 3 high...two is not enough.
  13. The kids prefer to decorate and eat singly.

Here's some I whipped up before - with a 7:50am bus there was no time for photos.

To make the cinnamon roll pancakes - I used my own pancake recipe but followed the tips found on Pinterest. 
They are delicious, just don't do what I often do and taste with haste (in other words shove it in your mouth) because you'll burn the roof of your mouth.
Unfortunately, I did not have cream cheese drizzle either today .

I am also going to try her other suggestions and a few of my own.
TIP - Recipe Girl's tips are valuable to success. 


PS  pin directly from the image,

Be careful when you are pinning because there are a lot of spam links with popular recipes like this, and images that don't lead direct to the website.  

What are your favourite pancake toppings ?