Saturday 10 January 2015

How to not get arrested when you run through the city in your undies !


So what's with the undies - Cupid's Undie Run
On Valentine’s Day February 14th  I will be stripping down to my undies and running 1.5kms in the third annual Cupid’s Undie Run! I am participating in this fun event to fundraise for the Children’s Tumour Foundation (CTF).

The Children’s Tumour Foundation provides support and assistance for kids, adults and their families affected by Neurofibromatosis (NF) a group of genetic disorders that affect more than 2 million people worldwide; this makes NF more prevalent than Cystic fibrosis, Duchenne muscular dystrophy, and Huntington’s disease combined.

The aim of the Cupid’s Undie Run is to raise awareness about NF and important funds for CTF. 100% of funds raised will go to sustaining vital support services for NF sufferers, and to promote world-class research to work towards developments in treatment and finding a cure for NF.

I have written a few times about my experience with NF . The 7cm sarcoma in my left thigh had malignant transformation. I had surgery in February 2014 and the pathology came back unexpectedly as a Malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumour. I had six weeks radiation therapy.

NF causes mostly benign tumours to grow on nerves. NF is a lifelong medical condition and can affect many organs in the body, including the skin, eyes, bones, and nervous system. Some people have severe disfigurement and chronic pain.

The worst part of having NF is not knowing what my future holds, I have a 3-4cm neurofibroma in my neck very close to my thyroid/trachea and arteries & veins. It's stable.

My biggest fear is has my tumour spread  and whether I'll find more tumours or existing ones will get larger . Of course, I am anxious every day for my little boy, and other family members who are experiencing complications as they get older. Sam's vision is affected by a complication of NF.

Now, seriously - I'm not used to showing off so much skin in public . Participating in my undies or a modest version is a huge deal for me.

I'd love my readers to get behind this cause or even register to run with me and no you won't get to see my behind! Be thankful.

As I prepare to run in my undies, I will not lose sight of why I am really putting myself to this fun and risque challenge. It is for a cause bigger than just m family and I. Being brave enough to bare all is certainly nothing compared to the bravery that those living with the complications of NF have every day. 

Many with facial dis-figuration are subject to hate crimes and stares and even people taking photos of them.

I can't do this alone! I need your support , my goal is to raise $ 1000. This money will enable continued research and support for NF patients and their families  #endNF !

Events are being held world wide - specifically in Sydney, Melbourne and the Gold Coast in Australia. 

All donations are 100% tax deductible.
Thanks so much for your kind consideration.

P.S.  Making a donation is simple. Click the link above and enter $ amount - any donations large or small will be much appreciated.