Friday 10 October 2014

A Scoby of Kefir Milk - What the ?

A friend from the local group of women (& kits) I run with offered me a Scoby of milk kefir.

I had heard of it but until this week I had no idea what it actually was, what it did or what it looked like. Kefir is a delicious probiotic beverage.

A Scoby is a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeasts !


It has opened up a whole new world to me ! 

I took her up on the offer Wednesday afternoon and I am hooked. She also shared some of her garden with me - raspberry and strawberry plants , peppermint and I have more offers of plants when my garden is ready. As she showed me around her garden and her chooks - I was most envious and ready to stick a cracker under my husband inspired to dig deep .

Now - I've joined the local Plants and Gardens Facebook group. More plant , garden and information sharing.

There is also so much to learn and the community of fermenters (not a bit like dementers) is so supportive. So what are kefir grains ?

Alex Lewin, ‘Kefir grains are combinations of yeasts and bacteria living on a substrate made up of a variety of dairy components.’ 
The live kefir grains look a bit like cottage cheese or cauliflower florets. They have a gelatinous in texture - mine was a soft blob. Don't be put off. 

credit - wki pedia.

 Milk kefir , rich in beneficial bacteria, contains phosphorus, vitamin K, biotin and folic acid - all essential nutrients to health and well-being.

The best site for information I have found - which has everything you need to know about fermenting and preserving is Cultures for Health - this is about Kefir


Another Facebook friend added me to this Australian group when I asked - PRESERVING, FERMENTING and HEALTHY EATING - Australia.


This was my first batch - last night.



 You can get Water kefir too - I didn't get any of this yet because it is much slower to grow.

My interest is the research (I admit I've only just started reading the literature ) that Cultured dairy foods potentially play a role in the prevention of cancer as they exhibit anti-tumoural effects.

Tell me have you heard of Kefir ?
Do you ferment or preserve food ?