Tuesday 7 October 2014

5:2 Baked Parmesan crust Chicken Schnitzel with no oil

I recently started the 5:2 lifestyle with 2 days of fasting* (loosely followed at the moment).

After, watching the full documentary Eat , Fast and Live Longer from Michael Mosley and the science made sense to me with my nursing background. It is also recommended for those who want to reduce their cancer risk.

You can forge your own 5:2 path with any type of healthy 'diet' - Paleo , Vegan / Vegetarian using this basic plan. Google it , there is so much to learn.

There are 5 days of week to eat normally (obviously not pigging out excessively if you want looser pants) and 2 days of only 500* calories (women) 600 (men).

I am also joining in with Kirsten and Co for #operationloosepants - be careful with the #hashtag though #operationlosepants sounds more fun.

Last week was #4 and I'm late to the party - the mission to get looser pants by Christmas.

I've been following my own #operationskinnyjeans path and already have weeks 1-3 nailed.

I am in perpetual motion - doing 70,000 steps a week running , walking and incidental exercise. Plus I've been following a 30 day (day 25/30)  challenge involving sit-ups, lunges, push-ups, planks, wall sits and tri-dips. I've passed 600,000 in only a few months.

Paddling training will also resume 3 days a week now it's daylight savings (if I make it to all sessions). 

As Kirsten says - it's all about little steps…that don’t lead me to the fridge ;)

 I digress - Week Four:  Try A New Recipe = get in the kitchen and give a new recipe a go!

Without a drop of oil ...I made healthy Chicken Schnitzel with Parmesan crust

I used this 5:2 recipe found at Lavendar and Lovage - for inspiration -  around 300 calories a serve (about 2 pieces because I used tenderloins here).

I didn't have time to style my food because my husband thinks eating food is more important than instagramming or photographing it.
Serves 2

250 - 300gms Chicken Breast or Tenderloins
1 egg white lightly beaten.
2-3* Tablespoons Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
2-3* Tablespoons Dried Breadcrumbs (I used homemade with wholemeal bread toasted)

(I prefer more crumbs and to have some over then trying to get every last crumb)

  1. Slightly flatten your chicken breast or tenderloins until they are an even thickness.
  2. Lightly beat one egg white.
  3. Rub breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese together - put them on a plate.
  4. Dip the chicken schnitzels into egg white , then crumb mixture and coat evenly.
  5. Place the onto a non-stock baking tray or onto baking paper (then bake in the oven until golden and cooked through (depending on thickness of chicken used) . I used my Actifry and they took 12mins.

I decided to use lightly beaten egg white to bind my breadcrumbs because the Actifry has a grooved base. I skipped the garlic and herbs this time because of my fussy lad.


Parmesan Crusted Chicken Schnitzel passed the particular husband test too !Served  with steamed vegies or grilled tomato - it was so delicious.

The ActiFry 2 in 1 made it so easy and it took 12 mins. I have used a similar recipe in my oven before. 

Today, I made a tasty chicken schnitzel, avocado and rocket sanga for lunch with leftovers.
Linking up to #IBOT and Essentially Jess