Saturday 10 May 2014

Strawberry french toast !

This morning I was awake at 5am and out of bed at 5:30am - my sleep routine is broken.
Anyway, I'd planned to go running at 6:30am - by 7:30am I had used all my spoons running 7.33km - very slowly.

I registered as "But I can't be there" entry in Mother's day classic -  Penrith was almost our closest Mother's Day Classic . I needed time at home with my family more than the event experience. I ran with two lovely ladies , so it was still fun.

I'm all set for the Breakfast in Bed Challenge. I'm going to slip under the doona , with my book and a hot cup of tea (made my hubby) and wait ...hopefully not too long.

My favourite breakfast is French toast any which way - I've used Banana bread, fruit loaf, ciabatta , sour dough and plain wholemeal - all with lip smacking satisfying success.

PR image -source unknown
I was sent this recipe to try ...actually the boys are going to create it for Mother's day with adult (Dad) supervision. I gave him honey toast in bed this morning.

Strawberry french toast

Prep time: 5 min 
Cook time: 5 min 
Carry to the bedroom while it's still warm and toasty time: <2 min="" nbsp="" span="">

Ingredients: 
2 slice(s) high fibre white bread (or wholemeal which I prefer)
(70g) crusts removed 3 tsp berry jam (like strawberry) 
1 medium egg 
2 tbs skim milk 
1 tsp caster sugar (we are using Cinnamon)
1/4 tsp vanilla bean extract 
 5 individual fresh strawberries, hulled, quartered 
1 tsp icing sugar (I'll skip this for a drizzle of maple syrup)
1 x 3 second spray(s) oil spray

Instructions 
  1. Lightly spray a small non-stick frying pan with oil and heat over medium heat. 
  2. Spread one slice of the bread with jam. Sandwich with remaining slice of bread.
  3. Whisk the egg, milk, sugar and vanilla in a small bowl until combined. Dip each side of the sandwich in the egg mixture until it soaks in. 
  4. Cook sandwich in preheated pan for 2–3 minutes each side or until golden. Top with strawberries and serve lightly dusted with icing sugar.
Serves: 1 (So make it over and over)

The boys may mix it up with a little broken egg shell , that's cool as long as it's not burnt I'll eat it gratefully. I'm asking them to add cinnamon and skip the sugar. Cinnamon makes it smell divine and it is better for me. It tastes sweet too.


 (*9 ProPoints value using original recipe)

Thanks to Weight Watchers for $25 gift card ... they wanted to help my boys pamper me while I enjoy a well-deserved sleep in. Seriously after to 2-3 months of inactivity recovering from surgery to my thigh and the haematoma - I can barely stuff my cuddly self into my jeans am gaining weight so I need a few tips to cook my favourite breakfasts healthier.