Friday 13 September 2013

Zucchini Bread with Pineapple & Almond {Recipe}

I am the only one in my family who eats zucchini...until now.
Zucchini Bread with Pineapple & Almonds
I was invited to take part in a Ready! Steady! Cook! style challenge using new Woolworths Select Canned fruit. I was excited when my mystery box arrived.

I had already seen and purchased 'Select' canned fruit . I was impressed the fruit is picked and packed in Australia to support Australian fruit growers and farmers.

I had a few ideas  something different . tasty . quick . easy ! I Google'd, as you do ...The boys love pineapple.

My husband does not like main meals with fruit ...pity - I love Apricot Chicken.





The original recipe is reported to be from a 1974 Sunset magazine - and I found it on Simply recipes 
and adapted it to suit.

It has the addition of delicious tropical Australian pineapple in the mix.
It’s a very fragrant and sweet , plus quick and easy loaf to whip up ...not quite a bread in my opinion.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups Woolworths Organic plain flour
  • 2 teaspoons bicarb soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (which I  missed - oops it didn't appear to affect it)
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 3 free range 'Select' eggs
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar (I used castor sugar but I'm keen to try brown sugar)
  • 1 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 to 3 cups coarsely grated zucchini ( I used 2 zucchinis - extra cup zucchini yields a moister loaf.)
  • 1 can 440gm crushed Woolworths select pineapple, drained (don't blitz slices -trust me ! They have crushed in the range too but I only had slices on hand and it was too late.)
  • 1 cup flaked Woolworths Select almonds (1 cup chopped walnuts was optional in the original recipe)
  • 1 cup raisins (optional - I used WW Natural sultanas instead)
Makes 2 loaves: 50 - 55 minutes {and six cupcakes in my house.}
Preparation time - 15 mins 

I could hardly wait the fragrant spices were warming up my taste buds within minutes. The batter was good too.

Method:

1 Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease or line 2 loaf tins - mine were 20cm x 10cm & 24cm x 10cm
2.


2. Whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.

3. Grab your mixer and beat eggs on medium speed for one minute.

4. Add the sugar and beat for one more minute, then add the oil and vanilla to mixture. Beat until thick and foamy.

5.Using a spatula or spoon, stir in the zucchini and pineapple.


This is what I need next time !
Add dry ingredients,1/3 at a time, into the egg, oil wet mix . Fold /stir gently after each addition. Add the sultanas and almonds, gently blend.
5. Divide the batter into two loaf pans {and six muffins if you like - I filled muffins before I added Almonds so they could be taken to school - Sam my VERY fussy eater ate 2 no questions asked, no lies told}. 

6. Bake for 50-55 minutes - set your timer - after 15 mins sprinkle flaked almonds over the top. Bake until your skewer comes out clean and tops are golden. Cool in pans for 10 minutes. They smell divine.  Turn loaves out onto wire racks if you can resist to cool thoroughly .

This is first loaf /bread I've made in my new oven so I'm still learning. My cake was quite moist because I added 3 cups Zucchini{loosely packed}.


Yes, I ate one (PS: Muffins took 15mins or so to cook)

Grown in Victoria's Goulburn Valley and regions throughout Queensland, Woolworths Select Australian Canned Fruit is picked at its prime to ensure optimum freshness and maximum
flavour.

It means you and your family can enjoy the natural goodness of Woolworths Select Australian Canned Fruit all year round.

Free from artificial colours, flavours and preservatives - it is 100% True Blue Fruit. I refuse to buy imported fruit on principle.

Pick up Select Australian Canned Fruit from your local Woolworths today.

RRP for most 400-440gm canned fruit is $1.89- $1.99 , 800gm is $3.15

Disclaimer : I was sent a pack of Woolworths Select and other ingredients, plus a voucher to buy additional   items, to create any recipe of my choice ! All opinions are my own.

Linking up With Some Grace #FYBF