Saturday 18 May 2013

Friends make life more fun


Dredging up my childhood isn't that interesting. Born and raised in Sydney, nothing really big or important ever happened in my childhood . I was happy enough and well loved. Instead I will tell you about my dearest childhood friends who helped make me the person I am today.

Two of my longest friendships are from high school, we met as 11-12yr olds. We are still firm friends almost 34 years later. Until I moved we saw each other for lunch every few months as well as family get togethers once or twice a year. Our husbands are friends too. Their daughters are all adults now, I was a late starter.

My friend D, who is one day older than me, has been a friend since we were 5yrs old. She lives 8 hrs away so we don't see each other much but we keep in touch. I even remained in contact when she was in foster care for 3 yrs (from 9-12yrs old), because my parents knew she was a special friend and facilitated contact.

Flowers from L ' behind her compost '; she said no-one was appreciating them so she picked them for me.

Another very special friend is L, I met her a family holiday in a caravan park, when we were both 16yrs old. Later we became housemates for a year and she would be my gorgeous bridesmaid. Since our tree-change we live 2-21/2 hrs apart and still have a close and strong friendship. I saw L, and her 3 adorable daughters a few weeks ago - they are 6, 8 and 11 - my youngest twin and her youngest daughter gang up against the 'middle' kidlets.They are so funny together and great mates.

I truly value their unconditional love, support and acceptance. They have been my sounding boards, a shoulder to lean on and someone to laugh with or whinge too. They have shared my pain and touched my heart and soul with warm and tender hands.

They all have a lot of patience especially with my hearing impairment and we all share a love of good food , talking and laughing out loud and wine (in the past !)

Have you had the same friends since childhood ?