Tuesday 7 May 2013

First I was afraid, I was petrified


How much should we be afraid of ?

I bet you are singing this now !

I can't afford the therapy so I blog , the medication is helping me with my fears too.

Without getting too deep; over-sharing my biggest fears could fill an encyclopedia (...does anyone remember them ?) and I'd drown in a flood of tears or depress you all.

I'm just not ready to talk about it. So let's jump to the next image !

credit
Too heavy !

One thing I can comfortably share is

Paraskavedekatriaphobia

My greatest fear is that someone might ask me to pronounce it. It is the fear of the number 13 or Friday 13th more precisely. (I won't bore with the Greek of it -you can google it or Triskaidekaphobia).


Fear always springs from ignorance
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

It is feared by many cultures and many building worldwide don't have a floor numbered the #13th floor , but of course they still have a 13th floor.

I am seriously not that superstitious but it crosses my mind every Friday 13th or any 13th ...like the day I had my ultrasound and mammogram.I felt fear.

I start to marinate in my worries and fear. I get a dull headache ( WT ?)

The fear doesn't cripple me and make me want to hide under the covers all day. Though that wouldn't be a bad idea.

I am not really superstitious but you know I think about it.

Is 13 really associated with bad luck ? 
Just saying ?

When I was almost 18 my parents bought a house number 13 ...I had fears about. Three years later I moved out to a #26  (truth and I didn't chose it myself- it was a share house with a friend).

They lived at #13 for 24 years almost (Dad a few years less) with nothing too sinister ever happening. But I remember someone saying #13 Houses are hard to shift. They bought it from a friend originally and My SIL's sister was the purchaser 24 yrs later.

Lucky !

My Dh's sister and mother (my inlaw's) have birthdays on 13th. They obviously had no choice in it. Two nephews just missed out 12th & 14th...I bet they were glad or maybe boys think it is kind of cool.

I wonder how many c/sections are planned for 13th ...my original c/s was 14th July ...it would have been tough had they suggested 13th a possibility.NEVER !

In our business we wouldn't use #13...superstitious reasons yes !
One day we found out it was #4 that was worse for some cultures ...13 or any number that reduces to 4 ~ 1 +3 =4.

Do parents fear the 13th year ? (another mystery) or celebrate the bloom of adolescence with joyful anticipation.

Do you worry about 13 people at the table ?
Some Restaurants are missing table 13 too.

I remember enjoying (read nightmare scared) the first few Friday 13th movies ...how scary were they ?.
I only just found out they made 12 ! 13th has to be a hit for sure !!!

Are you afraid of anything or number 13 ?

 

It has given me a prompt for a few more things I'm afraid of ...lucky for you another month.


I'm taking part in the Mother's Day Classic raising funds for breast cancer research. Every extra dollar raised goes towards vital research into the prevention and cure of breast cancer. I'll be participating or volunteering along with 120,000 Australians nationwide who are making a difference on Mother's Day . You can help me too by donating online