I have a healthy interest in
I've never been big on diets though I do have days when I deprive myself and think twice about my food choices...KFC ? or $1.50 Smoked Salmon on crackers - as I drive home from town.
I never give diet and exercise advice- unless I am really asked. There is enough constant and contradictory assvice without me adding to it.
When I was diagnosed with breast cancer I did make some lifestyle - well specifically diet - changes. Mainly to eat less red meat and to boost plant/fruit & vegetable foods.
|yes, it was a little tart !|
Possessing no willpower, when it comes to sticking to diets, I don't even bother. Fortunately, I exercise away my poor eating choices. 'Diet' for me is about embracing healthy attitudes to your body including the way you view food, weight and shape.
My Day on a Plate is a column written by Dr Joanna McMillan, a registered nutritionist with a PhD in nutritional science. I was offered an assessment of my food dairy and a phone consultation. Of course I picked a good day ...
Overall, Joanna was happy with what I plated up and my portions, and said what I'd chosen was fairly well balanced with protein across all meals. She liked my honesty about including the treats.
At heart, I’m not a killjoy health fanatic – far from it, I love eating and cooking. In fact I believe that having a good healthy relationship with food is just as important as eating nutritious foods. Joanna McMillan
For breakfast she suggested adding berries (fresh or frozen) .The flaxseed was good !
Dr Joanna advised limiting Bacon and maybe make the 'plate' better by adding grilled tomato & mushrooms - ( this was a weekend treat, mostly I eat a sandwich or soup (winter) for lunch). 1/2 the plate should be plant foods.
Limiting protein to 1/4 of plate and boost plant foods 1/2.
|The Pomegranate came from my brother's tree ...good choice but I need more fibre &to be careful with juices.|
I did well to make nutritious choices such as muesli, good-quality bread, brown rice (ideally 1/4 of plate when I do).
I could improve a little more on -
- more Salmon
- increase my nuts ~ carry essential, fat-soluble nutrients (I eat Brazil for Selenium but Almonds are good too)
- Dark chocolate with higher antioxidants
- eating dark grapes/cherries for Resveratrol.
- breads with wholegrain flour - whole wheat or rye limited white flour.
- using olive oil
- boost plant foods - use chick peas and beans
Lastly , Joanna said to keep on moving - I walk or jog every day to reduce my risk of weight gain especially since I have a hearty appetite for some snacks !
Joanna McMillan ...“Pineapples are the perfect fruit to use in recipes as they are incredibly good for you and can be used in so many ways, from curries to quinoa. One pineapple is enough for the whole family”
Dr McMillan, has been creating pineapple recipes with Australian Pineapples . My boys love pineapple and when I get a decent oven I am making the Pineapple Oat Muffins -
Visit Australian Pineapples for more information and delicious recipes...
Honesty, I don't use fresh pineapple as much as I'd like to . I love the summery and tropical smell of it , my hubby just isn't a fan of adding to fruit to main meals unless it is pizza !!
The boys and I made these instead ... Pine-o-Coco Popsicles
- 4 cups chopped fresh
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 4 ½ tbs lime juice
- In a blender, puree all ingredients.
- Pour mixture into molds and freeze for an hour (until they get 'slushy').
- Insert sticks and freeze for 7 hours until firm.
Answer the following question:
How you would incorporate pineapples into your diet e.g. a family favourite recipe , your favourite place to eat pineapple or a fun & creative way to eat pineapple !
1. Only Australian Residents are eligible to enter.
2. Entries not answering the question will be deemed invalid. The winner will be chosen by originality and creative merit, not by chance. Judges decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
3.There is one prize : 1 x $75 Woolworths Gift card
4. Entries - Open 6/5/2013 - Close 11.59pm 16/5/2013 AEST. The winner will be notified by email, and posted to mylittledrummerboys.blogspot.com.au - the winners have 7 days to respond or a new winner will be drawn.
5. Prizes are not transferable, changeable or redeemable for cash.
6. Prizes sent out by PR firm directly will not be replaced in the event that they are stolen, lost or damaged in transit.
7. Subscribe to my blog to receive MLDB updates.
8. Follow via Facebook or Bloglovin on the sidebar >>>>
This is a hilarious Pineapple song and dance I found while researching my post !
Interestingly or not today - May 6 is International No Diet Day INDD!
So we don't diet for 1 day ...hooray !
PS - Come back tomorrow for My Cadbury Chocolate Giveaway !
Disclosure: *Australian Pineapples has a campaign with Dr Joanna McMillan as the ambassador.
I also received Woolworths voucher to compensate me for my time and to try some pineapple recipes.
I'm taking part in the Mother's Day Classic raising funds for breast cancer research. Every extra dollar raised goes towards vital research into the prevention and cure of breast cancer. I'll be participating or volunteering along with 120,000 Australians nationwide who are making a difference on Mother's Day . You can help me too by donating online