Tuesday 23 April 2013

Ambulances and Anzac Biscuits.

I was getting ready to post earlier today and this morning we got one of those phone calls, a family member taken ill and off to hospital in an ambulance.

I threw away plans to work on my posts in draft. 
Feeling stuck in a rut, and sick with worry, I didn’t quite know how to climb out of it, so I baked Anzac biscuits; comfort food.



Exclusively Food - Chewy Anzac Biscuits - recipe here

We are 4-5hrs away.
I burnt one tray of biscuits distracted by Facebook.

Towards lunchtime, and after a reassuring call to say that he was settled into the cardiac ward and* in good hands, I was beginning to feel much better and more hopeful about achieving my goals today.

Wrong.

It’s so easy to make excuses.
I couldn't concentrate; chemo brain.
I was side-tracked by children , eating said Anzac biscuits and an appointment at 3.30pm for the children in town.
Try as I might I couldn't focus on the journey ahead.


“If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Buddhist Saying

In my own time.
I am still enjoying the journey as I press towards the mark.
With time, I can do anything; swim a river , climb a mountain or just maybe one day run - a half marathon (that my friends - is my limit ! )

I am still hobbling about though I ran on my treadmill for the first time in a week despite the discomfort.
Slow. I am stubborn , not swift or graceful.
Determined not to let a week of desserts and extra toast get the better of me.


What do you do when you feel discouraged ?
Do you set your sights high anyway and tell yourself it is okay to wait until tomorrow ?

How many Anzac biscuits is too many ? 

Linking up with Jess #IBOT 

*Scratch that the update at 6.30pm is he is still waiting for a bed in the Cardiac ward.