Monday 13 August 2012

The Nude Nutt Farm.

I keep wondering - how did I get here ?

Exactly two months ago today I underwent a mammogram and ultrasound . Before I set foot out the examination room I knew it was very bad most likely not good news. The vibes and the drawn out explanations of why I shouldn't worry ...so of course I did !

The next day, 'Breast cancer' with an immediate biopsy was hardly the news was I was expecting. Still, we dealt with it and a week later I had surgery. I've recovered pretty well.

Two weeks and three days ago I had my first chemotherapy cycle, with a guaranteed 100% side of hair loss within 2 - 4 weeks. Pretty much all body hair is lost , in time.

I knew what to expect because of the Breast cancer network Australia's BCNA Fact Sheets on hair loss.

Yesterday, morning I knew it was closing in - head hair was falling out in the 1000's alarming amounts ,  noticeably only to me, thankfully ! (I Goggled it to be sure but we have on average over 100, 000 hairs on our head.*)

I still wore a hooded top and my cap to make sure (no one else wore my hair in the windy conditions).I'm just grateful it lasted the distance of the City to Surf

DH drove home from Sydney to Dubbo last night. If I had known then, the amount of mess moulting hair made, I'd have gone for a haircut yesterday, right after I crossed the line. (Loose hair is still all over the bathroom from this mornings moult..)


We dropped the boys at school . My dear, sweet husband said he wanted to get his hair cut too, as a measure of support. I made sure I explained to them I was getting all my haircut off and so was Daddy...just like Ben , their adult cousin, who lives across the paddock on Grandpa's farm.

The hairdresser I wanted was not open. The next , across the road, wanted $20 for DH & $27 for me - for exactly the same cut #1 all over and shorn off completely.We settled on another hair & beauty Salon , two blocks away, where Sam and Joel have had haircuts before. It was $10 each for a clipper cut.

Nice.Neat.Quick ! No-one else was in the hair dressing salon at the time of my buzz cut. The girl was lovely. After it was over, in under 10 mins, I slipped my beautiful beanie straight on. He normally gets #4 clippers, we got matching #1 .


DH went and bought himself a new Akbura hat - he earned it !

I was ok. I'm still ok. It is just hair and it means the chemo is working. I'll be bald , most likely more than six months to year. It will grow back, eventually.

It feels much better now, I am not shiny bald yet. I couldn't shave it because there is still a great risk of an infection with a nick. My scalp was so sensitive last night and this morning. It feels so different , still slightly sensitive but definitely an improvement on the moulting.
 
Friday is my next cycle of Chemo. Onwards.

Ben's Dad, ( BIL) came up with a new name for our farm "Nude Nutt Farm" . BIL is looking pretty shaggy himself , so maybe it's his turn next ...in the shearing shed with Ben's clippers.


Even the very hairs on your head are numbered.*

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
(NIV Bible -
Matthew 10:29-31)


Tonight this verse and devotion gives me great inspiration ...I don't have to be afraid, or feel alone , for He is watching over me 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.