Saturday 14 November 2009

5 million



The journey of a 1000 miles
begins with a single step ~ Lao Tzu
...not money (I wish) but steps.


The last year I have been walking 10,000 steps a day (or slightly more). Some time yesterday I hit the 5 million mark.

The '10,000 steps' goal puts a focus on the accumulation of activity across the whole day instead of the pressure to do it all in one burst.

I started my count 20th October 2008 ... I thought I was fairly active running around after twins, a recalcitrant teen and doing housework but I was wrong.

Some days , like my day at the office, I barely manage 3000 steps or even less by 5.30pm .So I come home and walk twice around the block ...then keep going.

This surprised me. Days I don't use the treadmill, at the gym , I walk to the park and the boys play while I do short circuits of the play equipment ... or if I sit at home and blog I barely get there . Other days I go shopping ...a good 3000 steps there.

I haven't lost any weight , I actually gained a few kgs but when I started I just through a rough patch and I'd lost weight. So I guess I am back where I started. It allows me to indulge in my favourite chocolate, cheese and a little wine :).

These are the National Physical Activity Guidelines for Adults

1-3 recommend the minimum amount of physical activity you need to do to enhance your health. They are not intended for high-level fitness, sports training or weight loss. To achieve the best results, try to carry out all three guidelines and combine an active lifestyle with healthy eating.

Guideline 1
Think of movement as an opportunity, not an inconvenience.
Where any form of movement of the body is seen as an opportunity for improving health, not as a time-wasting inconvenience... so picking up after your children is good for you.

Guideline 2
Be active every day in as many ways as you can.
Make a habit of walking or cycling instead of using the car, or do things yourself instead of using labour-saving machines.

Guideline 3
Put together at least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity on most, preferably all, days.
You can accumulate your 30 minutes (or more) throughout the day by combining a few shorter sessions of activity of around 10 to 15 minutes each.

Guideline 4
If you can, also enjoy some regular, vigorous activity for extra health and fitness.

...okay I'm off to bed for #4. ;)



Never miss a post

4 comments :

sharnee said...

Wow, well done! I also thought I must be busting out a zillion steps a day as I run after my two monkeys but I was mistaken! Well done on getting over 10K a day! And 5 million!! Woo!!

MissyBoo said...

Well done! Me I really need to get motivated!

Beth P. said...

Wow! Awesome! :-)

PlanningQueen said...

Congratulations!!! Those guidelines are great too, thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.