Tuesday, 7 April 2009

Keep Kids Alive ... Do the Five

While blog hopping the Friday night I came across this heart breaking though courageous blog on a little boy who suffered a near drowning on 2nd February.

It really made me think carefully, 'twice', about updating my CPR /first aid certificate. I trained as Registered nurse over 20 years ago, I worked for over 12yrs in a Paediatric ward but I don't think I ever had to put my CPR skills to the test except on the plastic baby resus 'Annie'.

I know prevention is the key ...
• Anyone can be affected by a drowning or near drowning experience ...doesn't have to be your child or grandchild - you could be anywhere and be the only one
• So learn resuscitation
• Providing immediate first aid increases the chance of recovery
Keep all our kids alive ... do the five
  1. Fence the pool
  2. Shut the gate
  3. Teach your kids to swim - it's great
  4. Supervise - watch your mate and
Another blog called Ripples The Samuel Morris Foundation is Australia's only charity supporting children disabled by near drowning or other hypoxic brain injuries, and targeting drowning prevention...Samuel Morris lives in same suburb as my brother & his family. I have read his story in a local paper and they were on a TV backyard renovation show last year.

On Sunday night we were at my brother's house, they have a pool and 3 children from 6 to 13yrs . It was too cold to swim but I couldn't get the thought out of my mind ...what if ? I knew the older kids and my 15yr were outside with s & J playing but I still checked a few times.

The previous weekend we went 4wding and camped near a river .My Mother in law with her sage assvice advice had warned me before we left to watch the boys carefully. Of course I did ! and would have anyway.

Accidents happen and toddlers are little monkeys. My own boys are so quick to get into mischief and when I am distracted mayhem follows.

I am planning on updating /doing a CPR asap.
You can also make donations to the Samuel Morris foundation here.

I read an estimate that suggests for every child who drowns, 14 are taken to hospital emergency departments and 3-4 of those are admitted to hospital...1/5th will suffer hypoxic brain injury and be disabled for life.

So I quote the Ripples blog here

So have you checked your pool fence and gate lately to ensure it is safe? Do your children have the skills to be safe in the water?
Do you ALWAYS supervise the children in and around the water?
Do you know CPR in case the unimaginable happens?

What are you going to do about these today?
On Saturday I took my twins swimming (well to play ) at the local pool. I was surprised by a few parents watching their toddlers/preschoolers , from benches fully dressed ...I was in the knee/thigh high water very uneasy watching my own two boys who kept going different directions, and behind the various structures that obscured a clear view ...WT ?

It was so easy for S & J to wade out of their depth and I had to make a quick grab more than once. Plus with a few kids moving and throwing balls about it wasn't easy to be right beisde them.

We missed starting swimming lessons this last term because of Sam's broken leg ...the day I went to inquire about booking them in was the day he broke his leg. Come Spring we will for sure be enrolling.

Never miss a post
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...