Monday 23 June 2008

Why "My little Drummer Boys ?"

In case you wanted to know...

I have seen a few people writing how they named their blog.

Mine is simple : why did I name my blog My Little Drummer boys. I honestly can't remember the name I used almost 3 years ago when I made my first post ..(and one more on another blog the next day - I had no idea) then when I started again I renamed it.

When the teen man was about 8-9 we bought a second hand set of drums from a general auction on the spur of the moment . He had always loved banging and bashing on boxes/tubs/pans all manner of things since a toddler.

Our teenage son,D, is adopted it is written in his "My story" –a little book for him written by adoption agency and his birth mother. His maternal (birth) grandfather was a musician but he didn’t make much money. His birth mother would have told then that. She was also fostered most of her life. D was surrendered for adoption at about 9-10 months and we didn’t adopt him till he was 13.5 months. A week after we met him we took him home for good.

I digress ...I was awake one night last week wondering if the teenage son in foster family played drums.I am just so curious now.

Then along came the babies. They have grown up hearing, then later as soon as they could sit up, watching their big brother play the drums, almost every day. I loved the peace LOL.


So with my little drummer boys who love playing the drums too , what else could I choose.


Something else you didn’t ask …Even more freaky is my Mother’s, non live in, partner is a drummer. B was actually her old boyfriend from her teens . B and his wife were my parents long time family friends. They were also my God parents.

My Dad and B’s wife, J, both battled serious illnesses (cancer and leukaemia) around the same time for a few years , then both passed away with 7 weeks of each other 3 years ago.

B (who shares the babies birthday 1st July) will be 62 next week .He is a drummer in a rock/country band, Mum is his ‘groupie’ and she goes to band practice with him. The band even have real gigs at RSL clubs.

The Teen man is a good drummer – he is playing in band with some friends from school for a school talent show in 2 weeks. A mother dropping her son off at Teen man's party said he was good ... and she said it was pleasure to listen to him play compared to her son's drumming LOL

S & J well I don’t mind them playing either in short doses.

It’s was D’s 15th birthday last Wednesday and the Tool man bought him a new (used as a DEMO) drum set for less than 1/3 price (so he told me ;) ) so the Brothers are thrilled they get the old drums set to share. The old drums are still in good enough condition though well bashed to last them a few years.

I don’t know how we can have so many drummers in one family.

The new closest neighbours have a double brick downstairs rumpus room and apparently the guy likes electric guitars and drums too … I hope they made it soundproof. They move in end of next month once construction is complete. We are also building a new shed come 'music studio' for the Teen man.

Never miss a post

13 comments :

Juicy said...

I love the pics and the story behind the title. I'd do that w/ my blog but since it's just called "Joyce's blog", I don't think there's much of a story there! :)

(here from NCLM)

Laura Paxton said...

I love hearing the stories behind the name! My 12-year-old is a dedicated drummer-on-everything...our church drummer gave him a set of drumsticks...I don't have any place to put a drumset right now, though I KNOW he'd LOVE to have one!

Unknown said...

Cool story, I didn't realise there were that many drum connections.

Alison said...

Great story. What an awesome family history!

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a cool story about your blog name (i just tried to think of something that wasn't rude or too schmultzy!) You are a brave woman for having so many drums in your house! Husbando has some hand precussion but thats about all I can handle.

Carolina Mama said...

Love your blog. And what a cute tribute. I am a mother of twin sons too. :)

Martin said...

That's a nice nice story.

Still Standing Strong in A Bloom of Hope. said...

What a great great story! And I am smiling..your twins are so cute!

Just showed babes your twins! and he smiled! :)

Anonymous said...

Nice to kinow the story behind the name.

Jenn said...

A house full of drumming boys, goodness! That's so cool that all three of your sons like the drums so much. :)

Candace April said...

Great story! And I love the adorable pics. I have a musical family, but no drummers, yet...

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish,

I play drums too, but not kit drum. There's something about it that gets into the bones and makes you want more.

just jamie said...

Just catching up on posts. Wow, what a lucky family (lucky neighbors?). Love this.

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

Please know that even when I do not respond specifically to your comment - I treasure each comment made and consider it a thoughtful act of friendship.
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=14131376#othersettings
So what do you have to say ? Share with me ...
add your ingredients to this recipe we call life.